Lemon Chicken is so easy to make and this simple dish can be on the table in 45 minutes. This lemon chicken recipe is coated in sweet and tangy citrus sauce.
This lemon chicken dish is made with chicken breasts, lemon, and a few other simple ingredients. The sweet citrus flavor of this chicken recipe is light and flavorful, making this dish a great weeknight dinner.
Chicken is one of my favorite meats to use for dinner because it’s protein packed. Chicken is versatile and budget friendly, so it’s a weekly dinner staple in our household.
Plus, the addition of lemon not only brightens up the flavor profile of chicken, lemons are also packed with vitamins that can give our immune systems a boost.
On top of the vitamins that are found in lemons, sesame seeds are also an excellent source of antioxidants.
Why I Love This Recipe
Lemon chicken is coated in a tangy and citrus flavored sauce and can be ready in no time at all. This fresh tasting dish will please even picky eaters.
- Ready in under 45 minutes
- Easy to make
- Looks beautiful on a plate
All of these ingredients are simple to find at your local grocery store. You may even have most of these ingredients already in your pantry.
- Chicken breasts
- Green onion
- Sesame seeds
- Lemon juice
- Granulated sugar
- Lemon zest
Want to make this recipe your own? Here are some suggestions for you.
Chicken: Thin sliced chicken breasts will work great in this recipe. But, you will need to reduce the cooking time.
Crushed Red Pepper: Give your chicken a little heat by adding some crushed red pepper flakes.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a few basic kitchen tools to make this tasty dish.
- Small bowl or storage bag for soaking chicken
- Medium mixing bowl
- Plate lined with paper towels
- Large skillet
- Small saucepan
How to Make Lemon Chicken
This recipe comes together in just 6 easy steps.
Step 1: Soak the chicken
Place your chicken breasts in a small bowl or storage bag. Beat the eggs and pour over chicken to soak.
Step 2: Prepare the flour
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and cornstarch.
Step 3: Heat your skillet
In a frying pan. Pour about 1” of oil and bring to medium high heat.
Step 4: Brown the chicken
Coat each piece of chicken in the flour mixture and then place in hot oil to fry. Repeat for all chicken. Once chicken pieces are golden brown, remove from oil and place on paper towels to dry.
Step 5: Make the sauce
In a saucepan, mix lemon juice, water, sugar and zest from one lemon. Bring to a boil while stirring and then remove from heat.
Step 6: Garnish your chicken
Pour sauce over chicken pieces until all are coated. Serve with rice and garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Flavor: Top your cooked lemon chicken with slices of lemon for even more citrus flavor.
Thicker Sauce: Allow the sauce to boil another minute or two for a thicker sauce.
I’m always trying to decide what I should serve with a main course. So, I thought I would share my favorite way to serve lemon chicken.
- Serve your lemon chicken with steamed rice and a side salad. Leave the sesame seeds off your chicken when serving if your family isn’t a fan of a little crunch.
- If your family enjoys potatoes, you can even add a potato side like mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes. I love using roasted potatoes as a side to my entrees.
Here are some helpful tips to help this dish turn out great for you.
- Do not overcrowd your pan when you are browning your chicken.
- Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Store your lemon chicken recipe in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Reheat in a skillet on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Or, reheat in the microwave.
Yes, you can certainly freeze. Be sure to freeze in a single layer so that your lemon chicken recipe doesn’t stick together.
More Chicken Recipes
If you like chicken, give these recipes a try:
Lemon Chicken Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
- 2 chicken breasts cut into 2” cubes
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 green onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Lemon zest to taste
- Beat the eggs and pour over chicken to soak.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and cornstarch.
- In a frying pan. Pour about 1” of oil and bring to medium high heat.
- Coat each piece of chicken in the flour mixture and then place in hot oil to fry. Repeat for all chicken.
- Once chicken pieces are golden brown, remove form oil and place on paper towels to dry.
- In a saucepan, mix lemon juice, water, sugar and zest from one lemon. Bring to a boil while stirring and then remove from heat.
- Pour sauce over chicken pieces until all are coated.
- Serve with rice and garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!