This Instant Pot Orange Chicken is sweet, tangy, and easy to make. This is a dinner that satisfies even picky eaters!
I love Instant Pot recipes because they make dinner time less stressful. Unlike a slow cooker, I don’t have to be thinking about dinner before breakfast. And unlike a stovetop meal, I don’t have to babysit the dish as it’s cooking.
This Instant Pot Orange Chicken is a favorite in my house because of its deliciously sweet, tangy flavor. Served with Instant Pot White Rice with some mixed vegetables, it’s a quick and easy weeknight meal.
How to Make Instant Pot Orange Chicken
Ready to get started? Here’s what you need to do.
Ingredients to Make Instant Pot Orange Chicken
To make this dish using your Instant Pot you only need a few basic ingredients:
- 1 cup of Orange Juice
- ¼ cup of Soy Sauce (want more make it a ½ cup)
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons of Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Ginger
- 1 ½ tablespoon of Sesame Oil
- 2 lbs. of skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of water
Instructions for Making Instant Pot Orange Chicken
To start, we need to make the sauce. In a medium bowl, combine the orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, and ginger.
I know it sounds like a strange combination, but trust me, they work beautifully together! Mix the sauce ingredients together well, then set the bowl aside.
Next, we need to brown the chicken. Press Sauté on your Instant Pot and wait for the display to read “Hot.”
When the pot is hot, add the sesame oil and chicken.
Cook, stirring frequently to cook all sides and prevent the chicken from sticking to the bottom of the pot, for about five minutes. The chicken should look like this:
Now it’s time to add the sauce. Pour the sauce over the chicken and stir to coat. Cancel Sauté mode.
Secure the lid of your Instant Pot and turn the valve to “Sealing.” Press “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” (depending on your model) and set the time for 4 minutes. The chicken is already mostly cooked so it doesn’t need long to finish.
When the timer beeps at the end of the cook time, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. While the pressure is releasing, mix the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl.
After 10 minutes, move the valve to “Venting” to release the remaining pressure. Remove the lid, press “Cancel” and then press “Saute.”
Add the cornstarch slurry to the pot and cook, stirring often, until the sauce reaches your desired thickness. Your Instant Pot Orange Chicken is ready to serve!
Instant Pot Orange Chicken Recipe
Prefer to print out the recipe? Here’s the recipe card with exact measurements and step-by-step instructions.
Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 lbs. skinless boneless chicken breast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a medium bowl, combine the orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, and ginger and mix well. Set the bowl aside.
- Press Sauté on your Instant Pot. Wait for display to read "Hot".
- Add sesame oil and chicken to the pot. Brown chicken for about 5 minutes.
- Add the liquid mixture to the Instant Pot and stir to coat chicken.
- Turn Sauté off and secure the Instant Pot lid.
- Turn the valve to “sealing” and press manual or Pressure Cook, select high pressure and set time for 4 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot is done let it Natural Release the pressure for 10 minutes before moving the valve to "venting" for a quick release.
- While pressure is releasing, mix the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl.
- When pressure has fully released from the Instant Pot, remove the lid and press Sauté.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the Instant Pot and stir for about 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens to your preference.
- Serve over white rice.
Pin this recipe so you can easily find it later: