This Instant Pot Lemon Chicken is a simple and delicious classic meal that is ready in 30 minutes. With just the right amount of fresh citrus flavor, it’s a great dish for summer months.
Chicken is my go-to protein because it’s so versatile. With its mild flavor, it’s easy to transform into something amazing with just a few simple ingredients. That’s why I create so many Instant Pot chicken recipes.
I’m also a big fan of mushrooms and onions because they add so much flavor and texture to any meal. I added them to this recipe because they’re a nice counterbalance to the tart zing of lemon.
Plus, mushrooms and onions are really good for you. Mushrooms contain a good dose of vitamin D and are loaded with antioxidants.
Onions are also packed with nutrients (like vitamin C, folate, and potassium). So, in addition to adding some flavor and texture to your dish, they’re providing you with great health benefits too!
How to Make Instant Pot Lemon Chicken
Since this is such a basic and classic recipe, chances are you probably already have all the ingredients in your kitchen. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup of fresh mushrooms or 8 oz. canned mushrooms, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of parsley
- 2 lbs. of skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- Lemon zest (if you don’t already have a zester, I love this one)
- Lemon juice from 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- ¼ cup of water
Step 1 – Saute the Onions and Mushrooms
Before we do any pressure cooking, we’re going to use the sauté function to bring some flavor out of the onions and mushrooms. Press Sauté and wait until the display reads “Hot” before adding the butter.
After the pot is hot, add the butter to the pot, along with the chopped onions, minced garlic, mushrooms, and seasonings.
To keep the recipe simple, I’ve kept the seasonings to salt, pepper and parsley. However, I often substitute Italian seasoning for the parsley and in a pinch will use garlic powder in lieu of fresh garlic.
Cook for two minutes to release the flavors, just until the onions are tender.
Step 2 – Add Chicken
Next, carefully place the chicken in the pot. Brown the chicken on both sides. This should take just a couple of minutes for each side.
Step 3 – Add Broth and Lemon
Now it’s time to add the liquid and the highlight of the dish — that tart lemon flavor! Pour in the broth and add the juice from 2 lemons plus a little lemon zest.
Step 4 – Pressure Cook
Time to let the Instant Pot take over! Secure the Instant Pot lid and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
Press the “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” button (depending on your model) and set to cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
When the cook time ends, allow for a natural release. This means you’ll wait for the pin to drop before moving the valve to “venting.”
Remove the lid.
Step 5 – Finish the Sauce
Remove the chicken from Instant Pot and set it aside on a clean plate. Press Cancel and then Sauté.
In a small bowl, mix together 3 tablespoons of cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water. Make sure the cornstarch is fully incorporated to avoid lumps.
Slowly add the cornstarch slurry to the pot and use a whisk to stir it into the sauce.
If you prefer a creamier sauce, add 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Continue stirring until the sauce boils and thickens. Return the chicken to the pot and coat with the sauce.
Step 6 – Serve
Your Instant Pot Lemon Chicken is ready to serve! My kids love it over egg noodles, but it’s also great over rice or alongside roasted potatoes. Add a side of green beans or grilled vegetables.
Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Recipe
Instant Pot Lemon Chicken
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms (or 8 oz. canned mushrooms) diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 2 lbs chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 cup chicken broth
- lemon Zest
- juice from 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- Press Sauté button on your Instant Pot. When hot, add the butter, onion, mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley, and sauté until onions are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken breast and sear on both side (2-3 minutes per side).
- Add the chicken broth, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Close the Instant Pot, cancel Sauté, and press Manual or Pressure Cook button, high, for 8 minutes.
- When cook time ends, do a Natural Release. This process takes about 10-11 minutes.
- Open the Instant Pot, remove the chicken breasts to a plate and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the water and cornstarch and mix well.
- Press Sauté on your Instant Pot and slowly add the cornstarch slurry. Continue to stir with a wire whisk and bring to a boil. The sauce will thicken.
- Return the chicken to the Instant Pot and coat with sauce.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice or alongside roasted potatoes and green beans or roasted/grilled vegetables.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can make it later!
If you liked this recipe, check out my other Instant Pot recipes.
Every time I publish a recipe, I get several of the same questions so here are the answers to some of the things you might be wondering about after you read this recipe.
Can I use frozen chicken breasts?
You can! Simply adjust the pressure cook time to 15 minutes instead of 8 minutes. Also, reduce the liquid by 1/4 cup.
Can I make this in a slow cooker?
Absolutely! Add everything to your slow cooker at once except for the cornstarch slurry, but only use 1/2 cup of broth. Cook on low for 4 hours. Make the cornstarch slurry an hour before the end of the cook time and stir it in.
My pressure cooker is a different brand. Will this recipe work in it?
It should. I only own the Instant Pot brand but several members of my Facebook group have different brands and are able to make all of my recipes in them. The buttons may be labeled differently, but the overall functions are very similar.