I wanted to figure out how to make DIY Poo Pourri Spray after I shelled out almost $20 to restock the store-bought version for our guest bathroom. Not only is the original brand very cleverly named, the product itself is remarkable.
How to Use Poo Pourri
Simply spray a few spritzes into the toilet bowl before using it, and you effectively thwart any odors associated with bathroom activities. This is something I REALLY appreciate given how often we entertain dozens of people in our home and how many times we travel as a family and have to share a single bathroom.
How Does Poo Pourri Work?
After I discovered the magic of Poo Pourri I, of course, wanted to understand how it worked. How did this little miracle spray manage to do so much?
It’s really simple, actually. Poo Pourri is an all-natural blend of essential oils. When you spray the oils in your toilet bowl, they create a film that creates a barrier on the surface of the water. That barrier keeps yucky smells trapped below the surface so that all you smell are the pleasant scents of the oils.
How to Make DIY Poo Pourri Spray
As you may or may not know, I have a decent supply of essential oils in my effort to introduce more natural solutions in my non-crunchy home, like this Natural Homemade Bubble Bath. So, I realized I could make a DIY Poo Pourri spray with things I already had on hand. Not only would this save me money, but I am never at risk of running out of Poo Pourri again.
First, you need to add the water to the spray bottle. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup, but use less if necessary to leave enough room for the remaining ingredients.
Next, add one teaspoon of vodka to the water in the spray bottle. Don’t have vodka? Don’t worry, you can substitute rubbing alcohol.
After you’ve added the vodka, add one teaspoon of dish soap.
Now it’s time to add the oils. You’ll want to use about 30 total drops. For a pleasant floral scent, I used 10 drops each of jasmine, lavender and geranium oil.
After you’ve added the oils, place the sprayer in place and seal tightly. Then, shake to combine the ingredients.
That’s it! Your DIY Poo Pourri Spray is ready to use!
DIY Poo Pourri Spray
- 4 oz. Spray bottle
- ½ c. Water
- 10 drops Jasmine essential oil
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil
- 10 drops Geranium essential oil
- 1 teaspoon Vodka can substitute rubbing alcohol
- 1 teaspoon Dish soap
- Fill a 4 ounce spray bottle mostly full with a ½ cup of water. You may not need to use the entire ½ cup of water, you want to leave enough space at the top of the bottle to put in the other ingredients.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Vodka to the spray bottle. You can substitute this ingredient with rubbing alcohol if you prefer.
- Pour in 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap.
- Mix in 10 drops of jasmine essential oil.
- Place 10 drops of lavender essential oil into the spray bottle.
- Add in 10 drops of geranium essential oil.
- Replace the lid on the spray bottle and shake well until the oil has been incorporated. You will need to shake the bottle before each use.
- For best results, apply 5-10 sprays of the mixture to the water inside the toilet bowl before using the restroom. You can use several sprays on the surface of the water after flushing the toilet as well to freshen up the bathroom.