Last Updated on November 12, 2022 by Corinne Schmitt
Would you rather questions for kids can turn dinner time into a fun family event. These free printable would you rather questions will get the whole family laughing and make great activities for kids!
What Is Would You Rather?
You may have never heard of would you rather. These are simple questions the whole family can take turns answering.
Each question gives you a choice of two things. Everyone says which thing they would rather do and why.
The questions are geared towards kids, but the adults I know also get a kick out of answering!! My family always loves to expound on why they chose what they chose.
These questions can be about ANYTHING. It is also fun to have people make up their own would you rather questions.
How Do You Play Would You Rather?
Would You Rather is a very simple game which is what makes it such a wonderful family activity! Basically, players take turns posing questions and everyone else answers.
You can make up whatever questions you want, but it’s helpful to have some starter questions to get the game going.
One of the best things about Would You Rather is that the object of the game is to learn more about each other and to have fun! Everyone is a winner and there are no wrong answers so it’s fun for everyone.
Great Conversation Starters
Typically would you rather questions are silly. The great thing about getting kids talking is you can take a silly question and make it into a teachable moment.
For example the question, Would You Rather Have a Pony or a Monkey for a Pet, seems simple enough. If you ask your child a few questions about their answer you can really get kids thinking.
Expound the would you rather question by asking your child what kind of care each of those pets would require. Does your home have the room for a pony or a monkey? Would a monkey get along with the other pets in your family?
Asking your child questions about their answer will get them thinking about all the things that can go into the decision making process.
Bring Your Family Together
I don’t know any parents who don’t want to spend more quality time with their children. Finding ways to connect with our kids and get them talking is a priority (or should be, lol).
The problem is that most kids don’t want to just sit down and “chat” with their parents. If we can find ways to “talk” to our kids in a fun way it will be received so much easier.
Would you rather questions for kids are a simple way to connect and talk to our kids and have fun at the same time. Kids won’t even realize that they are “connecting” with their parents too!
Great for Boys and Girls
These would you rather questions for kids are great for girls and boys. The questions are perfect for getting boys and girls to think about all sorts of different topics.
I have always encouraged my children to be open about traditional gender roles. If a question asks if you would rather be an astronaut or a mechanic, I want my girls to realize that these are not professions limited to just males.
The same thing goes for my boys. If the question asks if you would rather learn to sew or knit, these are not hobbies exclusive to girls.
I love to hear what my kids pick on questions that seem geared more towards one gender or another.
Would You Rather Questions for Kids
Here are over 30 Would You Rather Questions to kickstart your game with your kids.
- Would you rather be a bird or a fish?
- Would you rather eat spaghetti or tacos?
- Would you rather camp in a tent or in a camper?
- Would you rather drink orange juice or apple juice?
- Would you rather wear boots or tennis shoes?
- Would you rather go to the zoo or the park?
- Would you rather meet Santa or the Easter Bunny?
- Would you rather be too hot or too cold?
- Would you rather be a police officer or a fireman?
- Would you rather read books or write stories?
- Would you rather be a ballerina or a gymnast?
- Would you rather have a puppy or a kitten?
- Would you rather go mountain climbing or skydiving?
- Would you rather jump off a diving board or go down a slide?
- Would you rather be a pilot or a pirate?
- Would you rather play baseball or soccer?
- Would you rather be a lion or a tiger?
- Would you rather be an actor or a comedian?
- Would you rather have a tail or elf ears?
- Would you rather have a playhouse or a trampoline?
- Would you rather have a pony or a monkey for a pet?
- Would you rather be very smart or very lucky?
- Would you rather be able to travel into the future or into the past?
- Would you rather have wings or a jetpack?
- Would you rather take an art class or a music class?
- Would you rather eat fruits or vegetables?
- Would you rather go snorkeling or kayaking?
- Would you rather go on a hot air balloon or an airplane?
- Would you rather eat cake or ice cream?
- Would you rather have a pet snake or a pet tarantula?
- Would you rather watch a comedy or a scary movie?
- Would you rather live in the mountains or by the beach?
Tips for Coming Up With Your Own Questions
Would you rather questions are so easy to create because you simply need to present two options. Here are some topics to consider to help you come up with your own comparisons.
Create choices between two different people and ask who they’d rather meet, be or trade places with for a day. Or simply ask which of the two they think is best at what they do. Like, who is the best athlete — LeBron James or Roger Federer?
- Famous actors or actresses (e.g. Tom Cruise, Scarlett Johansson, Johnny Depp, Emma Watson)
- Famous singers (e.g. Ariana Grande, Michael Jackson, Taylor Swift, Harry Styles)
- World leaders (e.g. President of the United States, royalty, prime ministers)
- Superheroes (e.g. Spider-Man, Wolverine, Wonder Woman)
- Characters in movies, shows, or novels (e.g. James Bond, Bugs Bunny, Harry Potter, Mowgli)
- Professions (scientist, nurse, salesperson, engineer, dentist)
Create choices between different animals and ask which they’d rather own, be, or have the same abilities as. Have fun and be a little silly! Like, would you rather have a pet dragon or a pet unicorn?
- Pets (e.g. dogs, cats, birds, fish, reptiles)
- Jungle animals (e.g. elephant, lion, monkey, tiger)
- Farm animals (e.g. cow, horse, pig, sheep, chicken)
- Forest animals (e.g. deer, fox, skunk, woodpecker)
- Sea animals (e.g. sharks, whales, sea turtles, dolphins)
Create choices between different foods and ask which they prefer to eat or which one they’d prefer to give up forever. Or, pit categories against one another. For example, would you rather give up candy or fast food for the rest of your life?
- Vegetables (e.g. broccoli, green beans, carrots, potatoes)
- Fruits (e.g. apples, oranges, grapes, berries, melon)
- Popular (e.g. pizza, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, pancakes, mac & cheese)
- Treats (e.g. chocolate, favorite candy, s’mores, cookies, donuts)
- Cuisines (e.g. Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Thai, Indian)
- Strong flavors (e.g. garlic, onion, lemon, pickles, hot pepper)
Create choices between different places and ask which they prefer to visit or spend time in.
- Countries (e.g. United Kingdom, China, Russia, Germany, Australia, Egypt)
- Cities (New York City, Houston, Paris, Moscow, Tokyo, Delhi, Amsterdam)
- Vacations (e.g. cruise, resort, safari, camping, beach, mountain)
- Small or confined spaces (elevator, airplane, closet, tunnel, cave)
Create choices between different activities and ask which they’d prefer to do or learn. For example, would you rather be able to play piano or guitar?
- Skills (e.g. speak foreign language, play an instrument, excel at a sport)
- Thrills (e.g. white water rafting, roller coaster, bungee jump, cage diving with sharks)
- Fun (e.g. go to a movie, visit a water park, attempt an escape room, play a video game)
Now that you’ve got the idea, stretch yourself to come up with more unusual pairings. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Would you rather be a zombie or an alien?
- Would you rather smell sour milk or rotten eggs?
- Would you rather go without soap or toilet paper for a day?
- Would you rather be the smartest person or the funniest person in a room?
Download These Questions
I have four pages of Would You Rather Questions for Kids available for you to download.
All you have to do is fill in the form below to download and print the Would You Rather Questions for Kids.
Fill in the form above. After you submit the form, you’ll receive an email from “Wondermom Wannabe” with a direct link to the printable. If you do not see the email in your inbox within a few minutes, check your spam folder.
The most likely place will be in your computer’s Downloads folder. You can also select “Downloads” in your browser menu to see a list of your downloads, then simply select “Show in folder” below the file name to see where it is stored on your computer.
You’ll need a program that supports PDFS, like Adobe Acrobat (which is free). Open the program, click File > Print. Select your printer and set the number of copies you want to print. Double check your print preview, then click print.
How to Use the Printable Cards
Print off multiple sets of the cards and keep them in various locations to make it easy to have fun any time, anywhere.
- Kitchen: Store them in a kitchen drawer and use them as family dinner conversation starters.
- Car: Keep a set in the glove box and use as a family road trip bonding activity.
- Purse: Place a set in a Ziploc bag and keep in your handbag so you can pull them out to stay entertained anywhere you find yourself in need of a distraction (e.g. waiting rooms).
In addition, the cards can be used as icebreakers for a gathering or as a party game at a birthday.
More Family Fun
If you want more ideas to keep conversations and laughs flowing at home here are some more great ideas.
- Make Your Own Forehead Game
- 20 Fun Games for Family Game Night
- The Best Playlist for a Fun Family Dance Party
- Family Movie Night Ideas
Be sure to SHARE this post with your friends so they can download and use these Would You Rather Questions for Kids too!