Hasselback Potatoes are a wonderful side dish especially for holiday meals. This vegetable dish takes potatoes to the next level for looks and for taste!
WHAT ARE HASSELBACK POTATOES
Hasselback potatoes may not be something you have heard about before. I did some research and found out that this particular potato dish was first served in Sweden at a restaurant called Hasselbacken.
The technique used to create the Hasselback Potatoes is said to have been named after that restaurant.
Technique is the secret behind these yummy potatoes. They are basically cut into an accordian and this makes the outside crispy and the inside tender!
Everything about hasselback taters is just plain delicious!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR HASSELBACK POTATOES
One great thing about this dish is that there are very few ingredients needed. These are all ingredients I keep on hand. This makes it easy for me to make these potatoes at the last minute.
HOW TO MAKE HASSELBACK POTATOES
Once you get the hang of making Hasselback Potatoes the whole process will be a breeze. These look so nice on a platter when serving guests!
STEP ONE: PREPARE POTATOES
Start off by preheating the oven to 450 degrees F.
Creating a physical block for the knife helps keep you from cutting all the way through the potato. This can be done easily by positioning two chopsticks around the potato.
Use a nice sharp knife and cut deeply into the potato every 1/4 inch, but stop when the blade hits the chopsticks. Do not cut all the way through the potato or you will have slices instead of an accordian!
Repeat the cutting process until all the potatoes are cut. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet lined with foil.
STEP TWO: SEASON POTATOES
Place a small saucepan on the stove and add 1/2 the butter, 1/2 the olive oil, 1/2 the smashed garlic cloves and 1/2 the thyme. Heat these ingredients until the butter is melted and the ingredients are blended nicely.
Pour the mixture over the potatoes and try to get as much into the cut areas as possible.
STEP THREE: BAKE POTATOES
Bake the potatoes for 50-60 minutes or until the tops are crispy and gold.
Melt the remaining butter, olive oil, garlic and thyme and brush over the tops of the baked potatoes. Season the tops with salt and pepper if desired and serve hot!
HASSELBACK POTATOES RECIPE
There is no reason to wait on making this recipe! You can download the full ingredient list and instructions with the recipe card below.
- 8 russet potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 1/4 cup butter divided in half
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided in half
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme divided in half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chives and additional garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Position two chopsticks around a potato to create a physical block for your knife - this helps you avoid cutting through the potato, creating that "accordion effect."
- Using a sharp knife, place deep cuts in the potato every 1/4" stopping when your blade hits the chopsticks.
- Repeat for all potatoes.
- Place the potatoes on a lined cookie sheet.
- Melt half of the butter and olive oil in a saucepan with the smashed garlic cloves and thyme. Pour over the potatoes, ensuring you get in as many of those cuts as possible.
- Bake the potatoes for 50-60 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Melt the remaining butter and olive oil with the garlic and thyme.
- Brush the melted butter-oil mixture on top of the crispy potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish if desired.
If you loved this recipe be sure to check out these other side dish recipes:
- Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- Creamy Mexican Corn Salad
- Baked Parmesan Asparagus Fries
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
- Crockpot Cheesy Bacon Ranch Tots
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe so you can come back and make it over and over!