Mousse is always a dessert favorite and this easy pumpkin mousse will be at the top of your list. The perfect holiday dessert recipe that is quick to make and easy to serve in individual portions.
WHAT IS MOUSSE?
Most people think of only desserts when they hear the word mousse, but there are also savory mousse recipes out there.
Mousse is a smooth and creamy dish that is typically made with whipped egg whites and whipped cream plus other ingredients.
Most mousse dishes are served cold and that helps make the dessert even richer.
Elegant restaurants traditionally have mousse on the menu and it rarely disappoints!
Savory mousse has been around since the last 1800s. In the early 1900s, the French artist Toulouse Lautrec decided to mix chocolate into a mousse recipe and that is how sweet mousse came about. Thank goodness for Mr. Lautrec!!
INGREDIENTS FOR EASY PUMPKIN MOUSSE
This easy pumpkin mousse recipe has very simple ingredients. There are actually only 4 ingredients other than the sugar and spices.
For the Mousse:
- Vanilla Pudding Mix
- Pumpkin Puree
- Granulated Sugar
- Heavy Cream
For the Chocolate Cups:
- Chocolate Chips
- Food Safe Paint Brush or Basting Brush
HOW TO MAKE EASY PUMPKIN MOUSSE
I love how elegant the chocolate cups make this pumpkin mousse recipe look. It is simple to make the chocolate cups and it really elevates your dessert table.
STEP ONE: MELT CHOCOLATE
Start off by melting the chocolate chips in the microwave. Place the chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 60 seconds.
Stir the chocolate chips and continue microwaving in 30-second intervals until the chocolate is smooth and melted. Stir between each interval.
STEP TWO: MAKE CHOCOLATE CUPS
Take a regular-sized cupcake pan and line each cup with cupcake liners.
Spoon some melted chocolate into each cupcake liner so that it is about 1/4 of the way full.
Use your paint or basting brush to paint the chocolate up the sides of the cupcake liners.
Now place the cupcake pan in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight so the chocolate can set up very well.
When the chocolate cups are done setting up you can remove the cupcake liner from each cup. If you can’t get it loosened just use a toothpick to get it started.
STEP THREE: MAKE MOUSSE
Place the vanilla pudding mix, pumpkin puree, milk, sugar, and spices into a large mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
Take another mixing bowl and add the heavy cream. Rinse off your beaters and beat the heavy cream on high until it becomes very thick.
Fold the newly whipped cream into the pumpkin mousse mixture very gently.
STEP FOUR: FILL CUPS
Now it is time to fill the chocolate cups with the pumpkin mousse. This can be done by just spooning the mousse into each cup or you can use a piping bag to make the cups look more sophisticated.
Feel free to sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the cups as a final garnish if you desire.
EASY PUMPKIN MOUSSE RECIPE
I really like that this easy pumpkin mousse recipe makes pretty individual mousse cups. These look so cute on a platter! It is also very easy to double or triple this recipe if you are serving a larger crowd.
You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions via the recipe card below.
Easy Pumpkin Mousse
- 1 box vanilla pudding mix 3.4 ounce package
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces chocolate chips melted
- Food safe paint brush or basting brush ½ to 1 inch brush
- Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe glass bowl, microwaving for 60 seconds and then stirring. Continue microwaving in 30 second increments and stirring in between, until chocolate is completely melted.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Scoop chocolate into cupcake liners to about ¼ full, and then use the brush to paint the chocolate up the sides of the liner. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight before carefully removing the liners. A toothpick can be used to pull the liner away from the chocolate.
- Mix the vanilla pudding mix, pumpkin puree, milk, sugar and spices until smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the heavy cream at high speed until thick.
- Fold the whipped cream into the pumpkin pudding mixture.
- Put pumpkin mousse into a piping bag and then pipe into the chocolate cups.
If you loved this pumpkin recipe be sure to check these other ideas out:
- Caramel Pumpkin Cookie Cup Recipe
- Overnight Pumpkin French Toast
- Healthy Pumpkin Pie Dip
- Cinnamon Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Be sure to PIN this recipe so you can come back and make it again and again!