Tease your tastebuds with this cheesy and meaty Pizza Mac and Cheese. Best for casual gatherings or brunch, this dish will surely be the next family favorite, especially if you love recipes like zucchini pizza bites or cheeseburger macaroni.
Pair this unique mac and cheese with cheesy breadsticks for a well-rounded meal that looks like it came straight from a kitchen restaurant.
Ready to have dinner ready in half an hour?
Does this recipe require pizza dough?
This pizza mac and cheese doesn’t require you to have pizza dough as it uses macaroni and cheese as its base. Only the toppings that are on a pizza are used to give this delicacy its pizza flavor, so you don’t need to do the heavy work of kneading dough or buying it from the grocery store.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Wanna know why this fun twist on skillet mac and cheese should be in your to-cook list? Here are the best things to love about this pizza mac and cheese recipe!
- It has a unique yet familiar flavor fusion. The combination of good cheese, pasta, and classic pizza toppings creates a delicious blend of flavors in every bite.
- This recipe is the ultimate comfort food upgrade. Why choose between pizza or mac and cheese when you can savor both at the same time?
- You can easily customize this recipe. Top it with your favorite pizza toppings to make this dish suit your preferences best!
If you love finger food with a pizza twist, don’t forget to try these air fried pizza rolls for your next outdoor picnic, game day, or for any reason!
Despite being so delicious, this recipe requires very simple and affordable ingredients.
- Elbow macaroni pasta: This will be the base of your mac and cheese.
- Heavy whipping cream: This ingredient is necessary to make the dish creamy.
- Shredded cheese: A perfect and good stretch of cheese – cheddar or mozzarella cheese – with the macaroni will contribute to the enjoyment of this dish.
- Tomato sauce: A half cup of this ingredient will be enough to give your dish that familiar pizza sauce flavor.
- Pepperoni slices: Of course, we can’t forget about the good-old, classic pizza topping.
See recipe card for complete list of ingredients and quantities.
Elbow pasta: If you can’t get your hands on elbow pasta, you may opt for other pasta suited for mac and cheese, such as straight macaroni, penne, and shell pasta.
Pepperoni slices: Anytime you want to give this dish a unique twist, you can substitute pepperoni slices with other meat like salami, vegan pepperoni, or sausage.
🌈 Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Feel free to get creative and try these variations when cooking your pizza mac and cheese!
- Cheese Overload: Top this dish with cheese of your choice to give it extra stretchiness and cheesiness.
- Veggie Lover’s Pizza Mac and Cheese: Include a variety of sautéed vegetables like mushrooms, bell peppers, and spinach along with your mac and cheese for a veggie-packed, healthier variation.
If you love and appreciate these recipe variations, you should definitely try out this Crockpot Pizza Casserole. It is another dinner-friendly meaty dish packed with overflowing cheese and juicy toppings.
🥄 Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
Gather these ingredients to ensure the smooth and hassle-free baking of this pizza macaroni and cheese.
🔪 How to Make Pizza Mac and Cheese
Once your ingredients and tools are ready, just follow these steps to make an exceptional pizza mac and cheese!
Step 1: Preheat the oven
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Step 2: Grease the cast iron skillet
Grease the 8-9″ cast iron skillet evenly using a barbecue brush. You may use any oil, but I personally opt for olive oil.
Step 3: Cook the pasta
Cook the elbow pasta according to the package directions. Then, after draining, but without rinsing it, return the pasta to the saucepan.
In the same pan, add the whipping cream and 2 cups of cheese, and season to taste using salt and paper. Stir the mixture over medium heat until the cheese has completely melted.
Step 4: Design the mac and cheese
Gently pour the mac and cheese mixture into the prepared skillet. On top, spread the tomato sauce, remaining shredded cheese, and of course, the pepperoni slices.
Step 5: Bake
Bake the skillet for 15 to 20 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, the cheese should be fully melted and turn lightly golden.
Step 6: Serve
Divide the mac and cheese into your preferred portions, and serve it while it’s still warm!
❓ Recipe FAQs
Shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese are a match-made combination in this recipe. These cheese variations are excellent in their ability to create a wonderfully melty, rich, and delicious flavor, making this recipe irresistible when it fuses in your pizza’s crust.
Leftover Pizza Mac and Cheese can be stored in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days. Make sure to properly store it in an airtight container, sealed properly to avoid any air from entering. Once you’re ready to enjoy it again, pop it into the oven for 10 minutes at 350°F.
Absolutely! To make this pizza mac and cheese ahead of time, just assemble the dish until it’s ready to pop in the oven. Instead of baking it immediately, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge. You can keep it in the refrigerator for a day or 2, and bake it as instructed when you’re ready to enjoy.
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Pizza Mac and Cheese
- 8-9” iron skillet
- Measuring cups
- 2 cups Elbow Pasta approximately 7oz
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 cups Shredded Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
- 1/3 cup Pepperoni Slices
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Grease the 8-9″ cast iron skillet and set it aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the package’s instructions. Drain, but do not rinse.
- Put the pasta back in the saucepan. Add whipping cream, salt and pepper, and 2 cups cheese.
- Stir the mixture over medium heat until the cheese completely melts.
- Transfer the mac and cheese to the skillet.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the center of the mac and cheese. Top the dish with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese and pepperoni slices.
- Bake the dish for 15-20 minutes. The cheese should be melted and lightly golden.