These Air Fryer Potato Skins are crispy, flavorful and so much healthier than the restaurant version! They’re the perfect appetizer or side dish for any party or gathering.
If you love appetizers that are perfect for football season then this is the recipe for you. Gather your friends and family and cheer on your favorite team while enjoying this snack.
Air Fryer Potato Skins
Potatoes can get a bad rep sometimes but they are full of nutrients such as potassium, vitamin c, protein, and fiber; they are also naturally low in calories. They’re a blank slate when it comes to flavor so you can really load them up with whatever toppings you like.
Why I Love This Recipe
The most crispy, flavorful, and healthy potato skins you’ll ever try. Make these at home for your next party or gathering!
- Easy to make
- Always a hit at parties
- Perfect for picky eaters
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love easy air fryer appetizer recipes you may also enjoy this air fryer fried pickles recipe.
All you need to make this game day food is a few simple ingredients that are easy to find at your local grocery. If you are like me, then you most likely already have most of these ingredients on hand in your pantry which can help save you a trip to the grocery store.
- russet potatoes
- olive oil
- chopped bacon
- shredded cheese
- dry dill
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- Chopped Green onions for garnish
Seasonings: If you don’t have all these seasonings on hand you can use all-purpose seasoning instead.
Green Onions: Out of green onions? Chives can be used instead.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a few kitchen tools and your air fryer to help you make this tasty recipe. You should have all of these tools on hand in your kitchen.
How to Make Air Fryer Potato Skins
Next time that you have a craving for potato skins, skip the long wait at your local restaurant and follow the instructions below to make this family-friendly appetizer at home.
Step 1: Wash the potatoes
Using your hands, rub the potatoes under water to rinse off dirt and particles.
Step 2: Coat the potatoes in oil and add them to the air fryer
Coat the potatoes in the oil and place them in an air fryer basket.
Step 3: Air fry the potatoes until tender
Cook at 400° for 30 minutes. Make sure they are cooked by poking with a fork with no resistance.
Step 4: Cut the potatoes and scoop out the insides
Cut the potatoes in half long ways and scoop out the insides forming a boat. Leave about a 1/4” of potato.
Step 5: Mix the seasonings and oil the potatoes
Mix your spices, spray the potatoes with oil, and season.
Step 6: Top with bacon, cheese, and remaining spices
Sprinkle a good amount of cheese and bacon in each potato and season the top with the remaining spices.
Step 7: Return to the air fryer until crispy
Place back in the air fryer basket and cook at 350° for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and potato edges are crispy. Let rest in the air fryer for 5 minutes.
Step 8: Serve and enjoy
Remove and garnish. Serve with ranch dressing as a dipping sauce.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
This recipe is delicious as-is but there are a few ways you can change it up to fit your taste.
Vegan: If you want to make this dish vegan, eliminate the bacon and cheese and top with avocado or guacamole.
Sauce: For a little extra flavor, try adding some BBQ sauce, or buffalo sauce.
Vegetables: If you want to add some veggies, diced tomatoes, onions, or peppers would be a great addition.
Toppings: Chives, fresh parsley, and sour cream also taste great on top of these potatoes.
Here are a few tips to help you make these crispy potatoes.
- Be sure to coat the potatoes well with oil. The oil helps them crisp up nicely.
- Russet potatoes really work best when making these as they have a higher starch content.
- Be sure to leave about 1/4 of the potato still in the potato peel.
- You can make the middles that you scoop out into mashed potatoes to avoid waste.
- Be sure to place your potato skins in a single layer in your air fryer basket so that they cook evenly.
- I used cheddar cheese but you can use Mexican blend or your favorite shredded cheese.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this recipe.
These are best served fresh but leftover potato skins can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place in the air fryer at 350° for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
Yes, you can freeze these potatoes wrapped in plastic wrap or aluminum foil in a freezer bag for up to three months.
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you like air fryer recipes, give these recipes a try:
Air Fryer Potato Skins Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Air Fryer
- Small bowl
- 7 medium-sized russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped bacon
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry dill
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Chopped Green onions for garnish
- Using your hands, rub the potatoes under water to rinse off dirt and particles.
- Coat the potatoes in the oil and place them in an air fryer basket.
- Cook at 400° for 30 minutes. Make sure they are cooked by poking with a fork with no resistance.
- Cut the potatoes in half long ways and scoop out the insides forming a boat. Leave about a 1/4” of potato.
- Mix your spices, spray the potatoes with oil, and season.
- Sprinkle a good amount of cheese and bacon in each potato and season the top with the remaining spices.
- Place back in the air fryer basket and cook at 350° for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and potato edges are crispy. Let rest in air fryer for 5 minutes.
- Remove and garnish. Serve with ranch as a dipping sauce.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!