This Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Salad is the perfect side dish for summer barbeques and picnics. The potatoes cook so quickly and easily in the Instant Pot and the end result is a delicious, crowd-pleasing dish.
My goal whenever I attend a potluck is to make something as easy as possible that doesn’t look like it was effortless. I want everyone to enjoy the dish, but I don’t want to spend all day to get that result.
If I volunteer to bring a side dish, I go with this Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Salad. It’s super easy and always a hit.
How to Make Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Salad
You can make this Loaded Baked Potato Salad without an Instant Pot since most of the ingredients get combined OUTSIDE of the pot. The reason I like to use my Instant Pot in this recipe though is that it makes cooking the potatoes so incredibly easy.
Step 1 – “Roast” the Potatoes
The deep, earthy flavor you get in this dish comes from this simple step. Before we pressure cook the potatoes, we have to saute them first.
Set the pot to “Saute,” let it heat up, then add the potatoes and roast them for several minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally to cook them evenly and to prevent them from sticking to the bottom.
Step 2 – Steam Potatoes
After you’ve finished “roasting” the potatoes, remove them from the pot and place them in a steamer basket.
Next, add one cup of water to the pot and carefully place the steamer basket with the potatoes inside.
Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes, then quick release the pressure. Move the potatoes to a large bowl and place the potatoes in the refrigerator to cool.
Step 3 – Slice the Potatoes
Once the potatoes are cool to the touch, remove them from the refrigerator and slice them into quarters or halves, depending on how large the potatoes are.
Step 4 – Combine All Ingredients
Next, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. To get the “Loaded Baked Potato” flavor now we just need to add all of those yummy toppings to our cooked potatoes: bacon, cheese, sour cream, and green onions. If you want a creamier texture, you can also add a little mayonnaise.
Mix the toppings into the potatoes. Your Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Salad is done!
Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Salad Recipe
Ready to make this Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Salad? Here’s the recipe card with the exact measurements.
Instant Pot Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- 3 lbs baby heirloom potatoes
- 12 oz bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup water for cooking in Instant Pot
- Add oil to instant pot and turn on to saute. Add in the potatoes and roast them for 6-8 minutes, stirring on and off to ensure all the potatoes are lightly roasted.
- Remove potatoes and place them in a steamer basket.
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot inner pot and then place the steamer basket with the potatoes in the pot.
- Close the lid on the pressure cooker and turn the valve to sealing position.
- Set to a manual high time for 7 minutes. When the cooking time has finished, do a quick pressure release.
- Transfer potatoes to the refrigerator to cool quickly. When they are cool to the touch, half and quarter the potatoes depending on the size of the potato.
- In a large bowl, mix potatoes together with remaining ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper.
More Instant Pot Resources
Do more with your Instant Pot with these helpful Instant Pot Accessories: