This Creamy Mexican Corn Salad is one of my favorite side dishes for our Taco Tuesday meals. It can also be served as an appetizer when you serve it with tortilla chips.
Aside from all the flavorful spices in this recipe, what makes this Creamy Mexican Corn Salad so delicious is the roasted corn. Trust me, the flavor is worth the extra time and effort.
Health Benefits of Corn
One of the rules in our house is that we always have vegetables with dinner. Much to my kids’ dismay, I don’t count corn as a vegetable.
In our family, corn is a starchy option, like bread or potatoes. We often eat it, but it doesn’t replace our requirement for nutrient-dense greens.
There’s a reason the kids want corn to count as a vegetable. It’s delicious and sweet!
No need to feel guilty about indulging in corn on occasion though. Despite its almost dessert-like flavor, it’s actually beneficial to your health in many ways.
First, corn contains a lot of fiber which is great for your digestive system. And it’s a good source of several B vitamins, which contribute to healthy nerves, brain, and metabolism.
In addition, corn contains many nutrients that contribute to bone health and bone density. Plus, corn is rich in antioxidants that help prevent cancer.
Do I Really Have to Roast the Corn?
I’m not gonna lie, I’ve definitely skipped this step because I’m too lazy. So yes, you can definitely substitute in frozen corn (steam it first).
While the dish still turns out delicious, the difference when you take the time to roast the corn is significant. If you have the few extra minutes and don’t mind the effort of removing the kernels from the cob, you’ll be well-rewarded with flavor.
What to Serve With Creamy Mexican Corn Salad
Since this “salad” is full of great Mexican flavors like cumin, cayenne, cilantro, and lime, it goes well with most Mexican dishes. I love it alongside my Black Bean Tostadas on Meatless Mondays to round out a hearty dinner.
It does equally well with Steak Fajitas (I make mine sous vide, which sounds fancy but is actually crazy easy and almost impossible to mess up).
Mexican Corn Salad also goes really well with Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos.
I also make this Mexican Corn Salad as an appetizer for many of our get-togethers. I serve it warm with tortilla chips, but it’s also tasty served cold.
Creamy Mexican Corn Salad Recipe
Ready to make it? Here’s the recipe:
Creamy Mexican Corn Salad
- 4 large ears of corn
- 2 tablespoons oil anything but olive
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 radishes sliced thin then cut in half
- ½ cup chives and green onion sliced thin
- 1 jalapeno diced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 10 ounce package queso fresco
- Shuck corn and remove kernels from cob.
- Add oil to a cast iron skillet, heat over medium high heat.
- Add corn to skillet, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, add mayo, sour cream, and seasonings. Stir until well mixed.
- Crumble cheese and add 3/4 of the package to the dressing mixture.
- When corn begins to brown, continue to heat while stirring frequently, about 6 minutes total or until corn is roasted, add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add corn to a mixing bowl, and stir in dressing while corn is still hot. Stir until corn is coated and cheese is starting to melt.
- Add radishes, chives, green onions, and jalapeno to salad and stir gently.
- Serve hot or chill and serve cold.