This Cheesy Bacon Tater Tot Casserole is perfect for a weeknight dinner or even a party! You can’t even go wrong with cheese, bacon, and potatoes if you ask me!
The best thing about this slow cooker appetizer recipe is that it’s super easy and you enjoy a cheesy side dish without much effort at all.
Cheesy Bacon Tater Tot Casserole
This easy side dish or appetizer is full of bacon and cheesy goodness and the entire family is going to enjoy it.
- Easy to make
- Always a hit at parties
- Perfect for picky eaters
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
You only need four ingredients to make this cheesy and easy side dish or appetizer recipe.
- tater tots
- dry ranch mix
- shredded cheddar cheese
- bacon, chopped and cooked
Diced Potatoes: If you don’t have tater tots on hand you can use diced hashbrown potatoes.
Cheese: Out of cheddar cheese? Use mozzarella or Mexican blend cheese or whatever you have on hand.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
How to Make Crockpot Cheesy Bacon Ranch Tots
Step 1: Cook the bacon
Chop bacon into 1-inch chunks and cook in a skillet over medium heat until done, stirring often.
Step 2: Drain the bacon
Line a plate with paper towels, and put the cooked bacon on it, then pat to help drain grease.
Step 3: Layer the slow cooker
In the Crockpot, layer half of each in this order: tater tots, ranch mix, cheddar cheese, cooked bacon pieces. Repeat the layer once more.
Step 4: Cook on low
Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours. Serve hot.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Are you looking for ways to personalize this recipe? Here are my tried and true swaps for this Crockpot Cheesy Bacon Ranch Tots recipe.
Chicken: Want to add more protein to this recipe? Add in some cooked chicken when you are layering your tater tots.
Tex Mix: Make this dish even more flavorful by adding in a can of Rotel when you are layering your potatoes.
Con Queso: Add con queso to your cheesy bacon tater tot casserole for a spicy kick.
Are you wondering what to serve on top of these cheesy tater tots? Here are my favorite toppings for this delicious snack.
- bacon bits
- green onions
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- For easy cleaning spray your slow cooker with cooking spray before adding the food to your slow cooker.
- Want to save on dishes? Use a slow cooker liner instead of cooking spray.
- Be sure to keep your lid on so that your tater tot cooks quickly and evenly.
Do you have questions about this cheesy bacon tater tot casserole? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
After the casserole has cooled, transfer to an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to three days.
After the tater tot dish is cooked through, let it cool then transfer to freezer-safe bags or containers. Label with date. Store up to 3 months.
If you have leftovers or want to make this for another meal, you can reheat the casserole in the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
More Crockpot Recipes
If you like Crockpot recipes, give these recipes a try:
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs
- Crockpot Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Candied Pecans
- Crockpot Pizza Casserole
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Crockpot Cheesy Bacon Ranch Tots
- knife and cutting board
- paper towels
- Slow Cooker
- 32 ounces tater tots
- 1 ounce dry ranch mix
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb bacon chopped and cooked
- Chop bacon into 1 inch chunks and cook in a skillet over medium heat until done, stirring often.
- Line a plate with paper towels, and put cooked the bacon on it, then pat to help drain grease.
- In the Crockpot, layer half of each in this order: tater tots, ranch mix, cheddar cheese, cooked bacon pieces. Repeat the layer once more.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.
- Serve hot.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!