Chunky Monkey Muffins just elicit happy thoughts. Who wouldn’t love a muffin packed with bananas, chocolate and nuts?? These are perfect for breakfast or snack time.
WHY ARE THEY CALLED CHUNKY MONKEY MUFFINS?
You may be wondering why these yummy and filling muffins have the name chunky monkey muffins.
I have been making different versions of these muffins for many years and have heard the name many times. The name comes from the ingredients.
These muffins are full of bananas that are commonly associated with monkeys. The muffins also have chunks of chocolate and chopped nuts inside so they are “chunky”.
It is a silly name, but my kids love to call these chocolate banana nut muffins by the name chunky monkey muffins!
There are some very healthy versions of chunky monkey muffins available if you want something that is very light on sugar.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHUNKY MONKEY MUFFINS
If you have ripe bananas that need to be used this is the perfect recipe because it calls for 4 bananas! It is also simple to swap out the walnuts for a different nut if you prefer.
- Ripe Bananas
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate Chunks
HOW TO MAKE CHUNKY MONKEY MUFFINS
I love the smell that baking muffins bring to the house. The bananas in this recipe make these smell extra delicious.
STEP ONE: PREPARE PAN
Start off by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Take a regular size muffin tin for making 12 muffins and line each muffin cup with a cupcake liner. Silicone muffin liners work great for this recipe.
You can also grease the muffin cups if you prefer to not use cupcake liners.
STEP TWO: MIX INGREDIENTS
Take a large mixing bowl and add the brown sugar and the butter. Beat these together until they are light and fluffy.
Add the eggs and vanilla to the mixing bowl and beat those into the mixture.
STEP THREE: MASH BANANAS
Place the 4 ripened, peeled bananas in a separate bowl. Mash the bananas up.
TIP: a potato masher works great for mashing bananas too!
Fold the bananas into the mixture in the mixing bowl.
STEP FOUR: DRY INGREDIENTS
In a different large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk these together so they are well combined.
Using a spatula slowly add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet mixture. Gently mix the ingredients together.
STEP FIVE: NUTS AND CHOCOLATE
Now it is time to add the walnuts and the chocolate chunks.
Gently fold these into the batter.
STEP SIX: BAKE
Spoon the muffin batter into the muffin pan so that each muffin cup is about 2/3 full.
Let the batter rest for 20 minutes in the muffin cups.
After the batter has rested for 20 minutes place the muffin pan in the oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the tops just start to brown.
Remove from oven and enjoy!
CHUNKY MONKEY MUFFINS RECIPE
You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions for this delightful muffin recipe via the recipe card below.
Chunky Monkey Muffins
- 4 over-ripe bananas
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 1 ½ cup flour spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup chocolate chunks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line or grease a muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly mash the bananas.
- Fold the bananas into the sugar mixture.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together, until thoroughly combined.
- Using a spatula, gently mix the flour mixture into the sugar mixture.
- Gently fold in the walnuts and chocolate chunks.
- Pour mixture into prepared muffin tin, filling just over 2/3s full.
- Allow batter to sit in the tin for 20 minutes before placing in the oven.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until just beginning to go brown on the top.
If you loved this muffin recipe be sure to check out these other delicious recipes made in muffin tins:
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Chicken Enchilada Cups
- Muffin Tin Dinner Recipes
- Apple Pie Bites
- Cream Cheese Filled Banana Bread Muffins
Don’t forget to PIN this for later!