Last Updated on August 2, 2022 by Corinne Schmitt
These Ricotta Lemon Muffins are super moist, fluffy, and packed with flavor! If you are looking for the perfect way to start off a summer morning, then this is the recipe for you.
If you love lemon muffins then this is the recipe for you. The fresh burst of flavor and moist texture will have your entire family craving these muffins time and time again.
- Lemon Ricotta Muffins
- Why I Love This Recipe
- Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
- How to Make Ricotta Lemon Muffins
- Step 1: Preheat the oven
- Step 2: Prepare the baking muffin pan
- Step 3: Whisk together the dry ingredients
- Step 4: Mix together sugar and lemon
- Step 5: Add the oil and ricotta cheese and beat until fluffy
- Step 6: Add remaining wet ingredients
- Step 7: Mix together the wet and dry ingredients until combined
- Step 8: Fill the cupcake liners with muffin batter and sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture
- Step 9: Bake until the muffins are golden brown
- Step 10: Cool then serve
- Variations / Options / Add-Ins
- Serving Suggestions
- More Muffins Recipes
- Ricotta Lemon Muffins Recipe
- Ricotta Lemon Muffins
Lemon Ricotta Muffins
Ricotta is full of protein and calcium, making it a great way to start your morning. Not to mention, it also gives these muffins an ultra-moist texture.
One of my favorite things about using ricotta in desserts is that it’s so versatile. You can use it in everything from cakes to pies for extra rich moisture.
Why I Love This Recipe
When you need a recipe to start off your morning, look no further than these Ricotta Lemon Muffins. They’re super moist and fluffy with an amazing flavor that will have everyone asking for a second one.
- Ready in under 30 minutes
- Easy to make
- Perfect for picky eaters
- It fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love fruit-flavored muffins you may also enjoy these Cream Cheese Filled Banana Bread Muffins.
Lemon Ricotta Muffins only require a few simple ingredients that are easy to find at your local grocery store. The muffins are also fun to make, always a hit at parties, and perfect for picky eaters.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- White Sugar
- Lemon Zest (from 1 lemon)
- Olive Oil
- Ricotta Cheese
- Lemon Juice
- Vanilla Extract
Cottage Cheese: If you don’t have ricotta cheese on hand, you can substitute it with cottage cheese.
Lemon: If you don’t have lemon zest, you can use the juice of 1/2 a lemon.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make these soft and moist muffins. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy the soft muffins.
How to Make Ricotta Lemon Muffins
Making these ricotta lemon muffins is simple. Just follow the instructions below and you will have a tasty breakfast in no time at all.
Step 1: Preheat the oven
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Step 2: Prepare the baking muffin pan
Line a muffin tray with 12 muffin liners and set aside.
Step 3: Whisk together the dry ingredients
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Step 4: Mix together sugar and lemon
Place the white sugar in a large bowl and zest the lemon directly over top. Rub the lemon zest into the sugar to impart the flavor. Remove 2 Tablespoons of the lemon sugar and set aside for topping the muffins.
Step 5: Add the oil and ricotta cheese and beat until fluffy
Add the oil and ricotta cheese and beat until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Step 6: Add remaining wet ingredients
Add the eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
Step 7: Mix together the wet and dry ingredients until combined
Stir in the flour mixture until combined and no dry streaks remain, then stir in the milk until completely incorporated.
Step 8: Fill the cupcake liners with muffin batter and sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture
Portion out the muffin batter into the prepared muffin liners. Sprinkle with the reserved lemon sugar.
Step 9: Bake until the muffins are golden brown
Bake for 22-25 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and the muffins are golden.
Step 10: Cool then serve
Cool muffins and then serve and enjoy.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
There are many ways that you can change up this recipe to make it your own. Here are a few ideas:
Berries: Add in blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries for a pop of color and sweetness.
Cheese: Swap out the ricotta cheese for cream cheese for a richer flavor.
Streusel: Add a streusel topping for a little extra sweetness and crunch.
Nuts: Add in chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts for a little extra texture.
These muffins are delicious on their own, but they can also be served with:
- maple syrup
- fruit salad
- a cup of coffee or tea
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect Ricotta Lemon Muffins:
- Use fresh lemons for the best flavor.
- Zest the lemon directly into the sugar to help impart more flavor.
- Don’t overmix the batter or the muffins will be tough.
- For a streusel topping, mix together 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in 1 Tablespoon butter until the mixture resembles crumbs. Sprinkle over the top of the muffins before baking.
- I recommend using whole milk ricotta cheese as it will give you the best flavor and moisture in your muffins.
- You can use paper liners or silicone muffin cups whichever you prefer.
Do you have questions about these Lemon Ricotta Muffins? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
These muffins are best stored in an airtight container at room temperature. They will stay fresh for 2-3 days.
Yes, these muffins can be frozen. Just place them in a freezer-safe bag or container and they will keep for 2-3 months.
No, these muffins do not need to be refrigerated.
More Muffins Recipes
If you like muffins, give these recipes a try:
Ricotta Lemon Muffins Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Ricotta Lemon Muffins
- hand mixer
- muffin pan
- Cupcake Liners
- Small bowl
- Large bowl
- wire rack
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- Lemon Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line a muffin tray with 12 muffin liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Place the white sugar in a large bowl and zest the lemon directly over top. Rub the lemon zest into the sugar to impart the flavor. Remove 2 Tablespoons of the lemon sugar and set aside for topping the muffins.
- Add the oil and ricotta cheese and beat until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, lemon juice and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Stir in the flour mixture until combined and no dry streaks remain, then stir in the milk until completely incorporated.
- Portion out the muffin batter into the prepared muffin liners. Sprinkle with the reserved lemon sugar.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and muffins are golden.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!