These jumping origami frog instructions will make it so easy to create paper frogs and the whole family will have fun! This is a great activity for kids for those bitterly cold days when going outside to play isn’t an option.
WHAT IS ORIGAMI?
If you are not familiar with origami it is the art of paper folding.
I am amazed by the intricate works of art that can be created with paper. The word origami is derived from two Japanese words, “ori” and “gami”. Ori means folding and gami means paper.
Traditional origami involves folding a square piece of paper into different sculptures. There is no cutting, gluing or taping involved in traditional origami.
DO I NEED TO USE ORIGAMI PAPER?
A common question that gets asked is if it is necessary to use actual origami paper.
The answer to this question is that it depends on how you want your project to turn out. Origami paper comes already cut into a 6-inch square which is the needed size for origami.
The paper is also thin and works much better for folding.
You can use regular paper that has been cut into a 6-inch square but you may have trouble getting the intricate folds accurate and the end result may not be quite as good.
The good news is that origami paper is inexpensive and a pack will last you a long time!
SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR ORIGAMI JUMPING FROG
I love projects that only require minimal supplies. This project only has 2 supplies!
HOW TO MAKE ORIGAMI JUMPING FROGS
The key to origami is to follow each step exactly before moving on to the next step.
STEP ONE: FOLD IN HALF
Start off by taking your 6-inch origami paper and fold it in half.
STEP TWO: FOLD RIGHT CORNER
Keep the paper folded. Pull the top right-hand corner over to form a triangle on the top half of the paper. Crease this fold.
STEP THREE: FOLD LEFT CORNER
Do the same thing with the left corner. Be sure to crease it.
STEP FOUR: FOLD RIGHT LOWER CORNER
The top corners can be unfolded because they have been creased. Now fold the lower right corner and crease it.
STEP FIVE: FOLD LOWER LEFT CORNER
Now unfold the lower right corner. It is time to fold the lower left corner just like you have done the other 3 corners. Crease it.
STEP SIX: UNFOLD
Since all 4 corners have been folded and creased you can unfold the paper.
You should have 2 X shapes and a diamond in the center from the folds and creases.
STEP SEVEN: FORM TRIANGLE
The trickiest part of these jumping origami frog instructions are right now!
On the top half, pull inwards from your X shape to form a triangle. Crease it into place. It should like kind of like a little house.
STEP EIGHT: FOLD BOTTOM
Now repeat the same process for the bottom. Your paper will be folded up into a nice little diamond.
STEP NINE: FOLD TOP LEFT CORNER
It is time to fold the top left corner of the top triangle up. Crease this fold.
STEP TEN: FOLD TOP RIGHT CORNER
Repeat the same process on the upper right corner of the top triangle. Crease it.
STEP ELEVEN: CREATE ARMS
Now fold the top part of the left side of the piece you just folded upwards, back down. This will begin to form the frog’s arms.
STEP TWELVE: REPEAT ARM FOLDS
Do the same thing on the right side.
STEP THIRTEEN: FOLD BOTTOM HALF
Now repeat the last 4 steps and fold the bottom portion to match the top portion.
STEP FOURTEEN: TURN OVER
Turn the paper over and fold the bottom part of the diamond in between the two bottom legs upward. Crease it.
STEP FIFTEEN: FORM TRIANGLE
Now take the left side of the diamond and pull it towards the center to form a triangle. Crease this fold. Repeat this on the right side and you will start to see the frog forming!!
STEP SIXTEEN: FOLD IN HALF
Flip your frog back over to the front. Find the part of the frog that you folded upwards in step fourteen. Fold the frog in half here and make sure to crease it very well. This will form the “spring” where the frogs jump will come from.
STEP SEVENTEEN: FOLD DOWNWARDS
Now fold in half back downwards the part you just folded up.
STEP EIGHTEEN: MAKE FROG JUMP
You are done making your frog! If you want to see him jump just push down on his back legs and he will flip, jump and fly around!
PRINTABLE JUMPING ORIGAMI FROG INSTRUCTIONS
If you want to print these easy jumping origami frog instructions off so you can make this again and again just print via the card below.
Jumping Origami Frog Instructions
- Origami Paper*
- Cupcake Liners
- Fold a piece of origami paper in half.
- Keeping the paper folded, pull the top right hand corner over to form a triangle on the top half of the paper. Crease.
- Unfold it and repeat on each of the other corners.
- Unfold your paper and you should have two ‘x’ shapes and a diamond in the center from your folds.
- This is the trickiest part! On the top half, pull inwards from your ‘x’ shape to form a triangle. Crease it into place. It should look like a little house.
- Repeat on the bottom. Your paper will be folded up nicely into a diamond.
- Starting from the top, fold the top left corner of the top triangle up. Crease.
- Repeat on the right side.
- Fold the top part of the left side of the piece you just folded upwards, back down. This is going to form the frog’s arms.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Repeat steps 7-10 on the bottom half now.
- You have just formed the frog’s arms and legs! You are almost done!
- Flip the paper over. Fold the bottom part of the diamond in between the two bottom legs upward. Crease.
- Take the left side of the diamond and pull it towards the center to form a triangle. Crease.
- Repeat on the right side. You should see your frog forming now!
- Flip your frog over.
- Find the part of the frog that you folded upwards in step 13. You are going to fold the frog in half here. Be sure to crease well! This is where the ‘spring’ from his jump will come from.
- Fold in half back downwards the part you just folded up. Your frog is done!
- To make him jump, simply push down on his back legs and release! He will flip and jump!
Gather up cupcake liners and draw different numbers into them. Make your frogs jump and earn points if they land inside. See which frog will jump the furthest. See who can make their frog flip the most times.
GAME IDEAS FOR ORIGAMI JUMPING FROGS
There are lots of fun ways to play with these origami jumping frogs.
Here are some easy ideas:
- Use cupcake liners that have numbers written on the inside. Make your frogs jump and try to land in the liners. You earn the number of points listed on the liner.
- Have a contest and see whose frog can jump the furthest.
- See who can make their frog flip the most times.
If you loved this fun kids activity be sure to check these out:
- Printable Nerf Targets
- New Year Countdown Activity for Kids
- Printable Farm Bingo Set
- Indoor Games for Kids
Be sure to PIN this for later!