Cream Cheese Filled Banana Bread Muffins take banana bread to a whole new level of delicious. The sweet cheesecake filling is the perfect complement to the moist and flavorful banana bread.
HOW TO MAKE A BUTTERMILK SUBSTITUTE
This cream cheese filled banana bread muffins recipe calls for buttermilk and that is not something I typically keep on hand. If I don’t want to make a run to the store for one item, but I am craving these muffins I can make my own buttermilk at home.
Buttermilk really makes a difference in certain baked goods and adds a wonderful tenderness to the recipe.
Here are the instructions for making a buttermilk substitute:
- Combine a cup of whole or 2% milk with 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice. If you don’t have a lemon on hand you can also use 1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar.
- Let the combination sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes. It should become a little bit thicker (not as thick as real buttermilk) and will have some curdled bits in it and that is normal. The curdled bits won’t affect the recipe.
- Use the buttermilk substitute in your recipe like you would regular buttermilk.
INGREDIENTS FOR BANANA BREAD MUFFINS WITH CREAM CHEESE FILLING
There are some special ingredients in these muffins that really bring a special flavor to each bite. This is a homemade banana bread muffin recipe you will want to make again and again.
- Baking Soda
- Unsalted Butter
- Lemon Juice
- Brown Sugar
- Vegetable Oil
- Cream Cheese
- Crushed nuts, if desired
HOW TO MAKE CREAM CHEESE FILLED BANANA BREAD MUFFINS
These banana muffins are pretty traditional with the added step of making the cream cheese filling. This extra step is SO worth the time and effort it takes.
STEP ONE: MIX INGREDIENTS
Preheat your oven to 375°F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Mix these ingredients together until they are nice and smooth.
Add the buttermilk, softened butter and vegetable oil to the mixing bowl and continue mixing until everything is well-combined.
STEP TWO: SIFT DRY INGREDIENTS
In a separate large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Add the lemon juice to the bowl of dry ingredients.
STEP THREE: COMBINE INGREDIENTS
Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in the mixing bowl and blend them together until they are smooth.
STEP FOUR: PREPARE MUFFINS
Place muffin liners in the muffin pans.
Pour the batter into each muffin cup and fill 1/4 of the way. Set aside for now.
STEP FIVE: MAKE FILLING
In a small mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, beaten egg, sugar, and vanilla.
Mix these ingredients until they are smooth.
STEP SIX: ADD FILLING
Add one heaping teaspoon of filling to the center of each muffin cup.
Now add more muffin batter to each cup so that it is 3/4 of the way full.
If you want to add some crushed nuts to your muffins you can sprinkle them on the top of the batter now.
STEP SEVEN: BAKE
Place the muffin pan in the oven and bake for approximately 14 minutes or until baked through.
Remove the pan from the oven and enjoy!
If you have any leftovers, store them in a covered container.
CREAM CHEESE FILLED BANANA BREAD MUFFINS RECIPE
You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions for this delicious cream cheese filled banana bread muffins recipe via the recipe card below.
Cream Cheese Filled Banana Bread Muffins
- 4 Bananas mashed
- 3 Eggs
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 4 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Nut Meg
- 3 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 sticks Unsalted Butter softened
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Beaten Egg
- 4 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 cup crushed nuts
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Add your bananas, eggs, sugar, and vanilla to a large mixing bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Add in buttermilk, butter, and vegetable oil. Mix until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nut meg, and brown sugar.
- Add lemon juice to your flour mixture.
- Mix together the wet and dry ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Line a muffin tin with liners, and fill each one 1/4 of the way with batter.
- In a small mixing bowl mix together all filling ingredients until smooth.
- Add about one heaping teaspoon of filling to the center of each muffin tin, as shown.
- Add more batter on top of filling until liner is 3/4 of the way full.
- Sprinkle the top of your batter with crushed nuts if desired.
- Bake for 14 minutes or until baked through.
If you love muffins you will want to try these recipes too:
- Chunky Monkey Muffins
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Blueberry Almond Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Healthy Breakfast Muffin Recipes
Be sure to PIN this for later!