Be enveloped with the warmth and flavor of Chicken Noodle Crockpot Casserole.
This slow cooker recipe combines juicy shredded chicken bathed with creamy sauce and the velvety goodness of wide egg noodles.
Delicious and easy crockpot recipes are always a pleasure to make, so let’s start cooking!
Will egg noodles turn mushy when cooked in a slow cooker?
Egg noodles typically end up being mushy when cooked in a slow cooker, affecting the flavor of the whole dish.
However, you don’t need to worry about this problem for this particular recipe. That’s because when cooking chicken noodle crockpot casserole, the noodles will be cooked separately, as per the package’s instructions. So you won’t have to deal with mushy noodles.
SAVE THIS RECIPE!
Enter your email below and I’ll send it straight to your inbox.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Aside from its creamy and velvety taste, there’s still more to love about this slow cooker chicken and noodles casserole recipe.
- It is an easy weeknight meal. You can make this crockpot chicken recipe in less than 20 mins of prep time, making it a perfect dish to serve during busy days.
- This recipe is a kid-friendly delight. You won’t have to worry about making a separate dish for the children because they’ll surely like the creamy texture and mild flavors of this recipe.
- It has a versatile cooking process. You may cook it on low for up to 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
You’ll relish this crockpot chicken and noodles recipe if you love an old-fashioned chicken pot pie!
You might need to take a quick trip to your local grocery store to grab some of the ingredients for this recipe, but the process will surely be worth it!
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs: These chicken thighs will be the dish’s main source of protein and the centerpiece.
- Cream of mushroom soup: The soup will serve as the base of this casserole recipe. It adds a creamy taste and a wonderful umami flavor to the dish, making it even more comforting and hearty.
- Mayonnaise: The mayonnaise makes the sauce creamier, has a bit of a tangy note, and helps to bind the dish perfectly.
- Sour cream: Its tangy and acidic element adds a pleasant zing that complements the chicken and spices.
- Paprika: This particular spice not only enhances the dish’s flavor by adding a warm, slightly sweet, and smoky taste, but it also gives the casserole a bit of a red hue, making it look more appetizing.
- Onion powder and garlic powder: The two seasonings ensure that the flavor will be spread all over the dish with the classic onion and garlic element.
- Salt: It brings out the ingredients’ natural flavors and enhances the dish’s taste.
- Dried oregano: An aromatic herb that elevates the dish’s taste.
- Cayenne pepper: Adds a mild spicy flavor to the creamy chicken noodle casserole. It also gives that pleasant warm sensation without overpowering the other flavors.
- Egg noodles: Tender egg noodles easily absorb creamy flavors and have a soft texture, making the whole dish more enjoyable. On top of being delicious, they also serve as a healthier alternative to other noodle types thanks to their lower calorie count.
See recipe card for quantities.
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs: You can use skinless chicken breast if you prefer a leaner meat option and a milder flavor.
Cream of mushroom soup: You can make your own homemade sauce if you don’t want to use cream of mushroom. Alternatively, you may use cream of chicken soup for this recipe. Just be sure to add your chosen soup alternative gradually.
Onion powder and garlic powder: If you can’t find any garlic and onion powder, you can use finely chopped onion and garlic.
Egg noodles: Feel free to substitute egg noodles with a noodle of your choice. You can even use different types of pasta like penne, farfalle, or rotini.
🌈 Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Here are other ways to elevate this dish further to suit your family’s preferences better!
- Buffalo Chicken Noodle Casserole: Enjoy this recipe with a little kick by tossing the cooked chicken in buffalo sauce. Add blue cheese or ranch dressing, to taste, to balance the spiciness.
- Cheesy Goodness: Stir in shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese to the sauce for extra cheesy goodness.
- Mediterranean-inspired: Add more herbs like thyme, rosemary, and basil to enhance the flavor. You can also add pitted olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and feta cheese to further embody the flavors of the Mediterranean.
Crockpot chicken and noodles are the ultimate comfort food, just like this air fryer chicken steak with gravy.
🥄 Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You’ll only need simple tools that you surely have on your kitchen counter to make chicken and noodles casserole!
- Slow cooker/crockpot: This will be the main cooking vessel for this recipe. You only need to prepare the ingredients, and the slow cooker will handle the rest.
- Nonstick cooking spray: To avoid having difficulty cleaning your crock pot, it’s best to use a nonstick cooking spray.
- Two forks: These are not really necessary, but they’ll help you shred the chicken easily.
🔪 How to Make Chicken Noodle Crockpot Casserole
It’s time to follow the steps for this easy recipe and enjoy a plate of this comforting goodness for your next meal!
Step 1: Prepare the slow cooker
Take the crockpot out and cover the inside walls and bottom of the pot with nonstick cooking spray. This ensures that the ingredients won’t stick to the pot.
Step 2: Create the sauce
Pour the cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, and seasonings into the slow cooker, and mix them all together.
Step 3: Add the chicken
After preparing the sauce, you can add the chicken to the pot. Make sure that it is tucked in the sauce.
Step 4: Start the slow cooker
Once the chicken has been added, cover the slow cooker, and cook over low heat for 7 to 8 hours or cook on high for 4 hours.
Step 5: Shred the chicken
After the cooking process, transfer the chicken from the slow cooker onto a chopping board. Then, shred the chicken using two forks.
Step 6: Add the chicken and noodles
Add the shredded chicken back to the pot, and add the separately cooked egg noodles. Stir evenly to ensure the chicken and noodles are covered with the creamy sauce.
Step 7: Serve
Serve while warm!
❓ Recipe FAQs
You shouldn’t add dry egg noodles directly to the crockpot for this recipe. Since this dish doesn’t have a lot of sauce, your noodles won’t be cooked enough by the time the slow cooker finishes cooking.
While using forks is helpful in shredding chicken, doing so with your hands is going to be the fastest method, as it gives you more control. Just let the chicken cool down on a cutting board for several minutes before you start shredding to ensure that you won’t accidentally burn yourself.
You can easily reheat leftover crockpot chicken noodles on the stove or in the microwave. However, if it’s frozen, make sure to defrost the dish before reheating by placing it in the refrigerator overnight.
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
SAVE THIS RECIPE!
Enter your email below and I’ll send it straight to your inbox.
Chicken Noodle Crockpot Casserole
- Slow cooker/crockpot
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Two forks
- 2 to 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 10.5 ounce cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 16 ounce package egg noodles cooked according to package directions
- Coat the bottom and sides of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Inside the crockpot, mix the soup, sour cream, mayonnaise, and seasonings.
- Add the chicken into the sauce, making sure it's covered.
- Cover the slow cooker properly. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Shred the chicken using two forks or your hands.
- Cook the egg noodles separately and add them to the slow cooker. Stir to evenly coat the noodles with the chicken and sauce.