Last Updated on August 25, 2020 by Corinne Schmitt
This Pierogi Lasagna is a fun dish to prepare with the kids. It’s also a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes if, like me, you always make enough to feed an army.
If you’re going for healthiest mother of the year, this isn’t the dish to land you the prize. However, it is always a hit with the kids and is quick and easy to put together. In other words, it’s perfect for those busy weeknights when you just want to get dinner on the table and enjoy the meal without complaints.
How to Make Pierogi Lasagna
Despite the fact that the ingredients for this lasagna are much different than the traditional version, the process is remarkably similar.
Step 1 – Prepare the Noodles
Boil or soak the lasagna noodles (depending on what type you are using).
Step 2 – Prepare the Filling
Next, cook the bacon in a skillet. Place the bacon on a paper towel covered plate.
Then, add the onion and garlic to the bacon grease in the skillet.
When the onions are translucent, combine them with sour cream, cheeses and mashed potatoes in a large bowl.
Crumble 2 of the bacon strips into the mixture and stir well.
Step 3 – Layer the Ingredients
Now you’re ready to assemble the pierogi lasagna! Start with a layer of noodles and spread an even layer of the filling over the top. Repeat these layers and top with one more layer of noodles. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the noodles.
Cover the dish with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, crumble the remaining piece of bacon over the top and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
Pierogi Lasagna Recipe
Here’s a printable version of the recipe.
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 package cream cheese 4oz
- 1 onion
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 slices bacon
- 1/2 package lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F
- If using oven-ready lasagna noodles, soak them in water while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. If using regular noodles, cook them according to package directions.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until fully cooked and then remove to a paper-lined plate.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the bacon fat and cook until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the cooked onions, garlic, sour cream, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and cream cheese into the mashed potatoes. Crumble and add 2 slices of the cooked bacon.
- Line or grease your casserole pan and lay down a layer of cooked noodles.
- Spread an even layer of the potato mixture over top of the noodles – about 1 1/2 cups.
- Add another layer of the lasagna noodles, then the remaining potato mixture, and a final layer of noodles.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese and cover with tinfoil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the lasagna appears to be cooked through. Remove the tinfoil and crumble the remaining strip of bacon over top of the lasagna.
- Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes to get the cheese nicely melted.
More Easy Family Dinner Recipes
If you liked this recipe, you might enjoy some of these other easy dinner recipes.
1 thought on “How To Make Pierogi Lasagna With Leftover Mashed Potatoes”
I just found this blog and I’m having a lot of fun flipping through. This recipe sounds delicious. I never thought to put mashed potatoes in a lasagna but now that you mention it, it seems so logical 🙂