These Air Fryer Mozzarella Slices are the perfect snack or appetizer! They are crispy on the outside and melty on the inside. The air fryer makes them super quick and easy to make, and they come out perfectly.
If you are looking for the perfect after school snack, or appetizer for your next party, then give this recipe a try. Your entire family will love this snack!
Air Fryer Mozzarella Slices
Mozzarella is a refreshing and simple cheese to enjoy on its own, or in any dish that needs some extra moisture. This low-sodium gem comes from Italian buffalo or cow’s milk which makes it light enough for those who want less salt without compromising flavor!
Why I Love This Recipe
I love everything with mozzarella. The cheesy stretch when eating mozzarella is so satisfying to see. The best part about this recipe is that it looks and tastes like it’s straight out of an Italian pizza parlor, even though I made it by myself at home with my handy air fryer.
- Easy to make
- Always a hit at parties
- Perfect for picky eaters
If you love air fryer snack recipes, give this Air Fryer Blooming Onion recipe a try.
Make sure to put these simple ingredients on your grocery list, or if you are lucky you may already have these ingredients on hand, which can save you a trip to the grocery store.
- fresh mozzarella log
- plain Panko crumbs
- eggs, whisked
- garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
Panko crumbs: You can use regular breadcrumbs instead of Panko crumbs in this recipe if you do not have plain Panko crumbs. Another great substitute would be crushed corn flakes.
Garlic powder: You can use granulated garlic as a substitute for garlic powder. In most recipes, minced garlic would do well. However, it will not work on this recipe since it will be incorporated into the coating.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
Making this air fryer snack recipe is so easy, but you will need a few helpful kitchen tools. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy this crunchy treat.
- Air fryer
- Measuring spoons
- Spatula- used to flip the medallions
- Knife – used to cut the mozzarella
How to Make Air Fryer Mozzarella Slices
This recipe comes together in just seven simple steps. This easy recipe is simple to make and can easily be tailored to feed a large or small crowd.
Step 1: Slice the mozzarella into slices
Slice your log into 16 slices. Transfer each slice onto a paper towel, and dab each slice to remove any moisture.
Step 2: Mix together the panko and seasoning
Mix together your Panko crumbs and seasoning in a medium-size bowl.
Step 3: Dredge the medallions
Place your medallions into the egg wash and make sure they are fully coated on each side.
Place your medallion into the Panko crumbs. Repeat these two steps one more time.
Step 4: Preheat the air fryer
Preheat your air fryer to 400° for five minutes. You do this by starting the air fryer without any food in it.
Step 5: Add the medallions to the air fryer
Transfer your medallions to your air fryer. Make sure that they are not touching one another.
Step 6: Air fry the mozzarella slices
Set your air fryer to 390° for five minutes. Flip them over and set your air fryer to 390° for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. They should be crispy and brown.
Step 7: Serve and enjoy
Eat as is, or dip in your favorite marinara sauce! Enjoy!
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
If you want to change up this recipe, here are some great ideas.
Parmesan Cheese: Do you love cheese? Add some grated parmesan cheese to the panko breadcrumbs.
Spice: If you enjoy some heat, add a dash of cayenne pepper to the breadcrumbs.
Size: Slice the cheese in any shape or size that you want for a different twist on this recipe.
These mozzarella slices are best served with a dipping sauce to bring the best flavors out of it. Here are some of my favorites:
- Marinara sauce
- Dijon sauce
- Buffalo blue cheese
- Ranch dressing
Here are some tips to make this recipe even better.
- Make sure the medallions are not touching one another in the air fryer.
- Dab the mozzarella with a paper towel – this will help remove any moisture from the cheese. If you do not do this, your breading will not stick as well to the cheese.
- Do not overcrowd your air fryer basket – if you crowd the basket, your food will not cook evenly. Make sure to leave some space in between each slice.
- Do not forget to preheat your air fryer – this will help the food cook evenly throughout.
- If you want a golden-brown crust, spray your air fryer basket and the mozzarella slices with cooking spray before air frying.
Do you have questions about this Air Fryer Mozzarella Slices recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
You can transfer them to an airtight container lined with a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil. Keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees, and then reheat your medallions for about 1-2 minutes. Leave space in between each medallion to ensure that it will evenly cook/reheat.
You can freeze mozzarella medallions to air fry them for another time. Simply follow steps 1-3, place the mozzarella medallions on a lined tray, and let them completely freeze. Once frozen, you can store your mozzarella medallions in a ziploc bag and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you like air fryer recipes, give these recipes a try:
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Air Fryer Mozzarella Slices
- Air Fryer
- Measuring spoons
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella log
- 8 ounces plain Panko crumbs
- 2 eggs whisked
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Slice your log into 16 slices. Transfer each slice onto a paper towel, and dab each slice to remove any moisture.
- Mix together your Panko crumbs and seasoning in a medium-size bowl.
- Place your medallions into the egg wash and make sure they are fully coated on each side. Place your medallion into the Panko crumbs. Repeat these two steps one more time.
- Preheat your air fryer at 400° for five minutes. You do this by starting the air fryer without any food in it.
- Transfer your medallions to your air fryer. Make sure that they are not touching one another.
- Set your air fryer to 390° for five minutes. Flip them over and set your air fryer to 390° for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. They should be crispy and brown.
- Eat as is, or a dip in your favorite marinara sauce! Enjoy!
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!