Homemade candied cherry ice cream is creamy with sweet, vibrant red cherries. No churn ice cream is so easy to make at home and the whole family will love it. Sweetened condensed milk ice cream recipes are some of my favorites.
WHAT ARE CANDIED CHERRIES?
Candied cherries and other candied fruits are also known as crystallized fruit or glacé fruit.
Candied fruit is a way of preserving fruit that started way back in the 14th century. The fruit or even the fruit peel is placed in a heated sugary syrup. The syrup absorbs the moisture from the fruit and eventually preserves it.
One of the most common recipes that require candied fruit is fruit cake.
Candied fruit is very sweet due to the preservation process. This means that a little bit goes a long way in a recipe.
INGREDIENTS FOR CANDIED CHERRY ICE CREAM
There are only four simple ingredients in this homemade candied cherry ice cream. Heavy cream typically has a long expiration date and I like to keep some on hand so we can make no churn ice cream on a whim!
- Heavy Cream
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Candied Cherries
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CANDIED CHERRY ICE CREAM
I love homemade ice cream recipes but do not like the hassle of having to use an ice cream maker. An ice cream maker really isn’t necessary. You can make amazingly creamy ice cream without any churning!
STEP ONE: MIX CREAM
In a large mixing bowl, use a mixer to beat the heavy whipping cream until it is thick.
STEP TWO: ADD MILK
Pour the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla into the mixing bowl and fold it in until the mixture is smooth.
STEP THREE: LAYER
Take a freezer-safe loaf pan (I love this OXO Glass Loaf Pan because it has a lid!) or container and spoon half of the ice cream mixture into the pan. Sprinkle half of the candied cherries on top of the ice cream layer.
Now spread the remaining ice cream over the top of the cherry layer.
Sprinkle the remaining cherries on top of the ice cream and swirl them around in the top layer of ice cream.
STEP FOUR: FREEZE
Place the container in the freezer and freeze for 5-6 hours or overnight.
When it is time to serve the ice cream, remove it from the freezer and let it sit out for 5-10 minutes to soften before serving.
Store any leftovers in the freezer.
HOMEMADE CANDIED CHERRY ICE CREAM RECIPE
You can download and print off the complete ingredients and instructions for this yummy cherry ice cream recipe via the recipe card below.
Homemade Candied Cherry Ice Cream
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup candied cherries coarsely chopped
- With a mixer, beat heavy whipping cream until thick.
- Pour in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and fold in until smooth.
- Next, spoon half of the ice cream into a freezer-safe container. Top with half of the candied cherries. Repeat layers and swirl the top layer of candied cherries into the ice cream.
- Freeze for 5-6 hours or overnight. When it is time to serve, remove the container from the freezer and let sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes before serving to soften.
If you love homemade ice cream be sure to check out these recipes:
- Easy Homemade Nutter Butter Ice Cream
- Homemade No-Churn Berry Ice Cream
- No Churn Oreo Ice Cream
- Homemade Tropical Ice Cream
Be sure to PIN this for later!