A summer word search for kids is a simple activity to keep kids busy and their brains active while they are on a break from school. I love activities for kids that are fun and also educational.
ARE WORD SEARCHES REALLY EDUCATIONAL?
There is more to a word search than meets the eye. It is not just an activity to keep children occupied.
Although I haven’t found any actual research to support the educational value of word searches, common sense tells me that they do offer some basic educational benefits.
Word searches can reinforce vocabulary words and children have to read and reread the words in order to find them on the list and in the search. This cannot be hurting our kids! 🙂
Learning how to scan is important for higher-level reading and scanning is a big part of word searches. Visual discrimination skills can also be learned and reinforced.
Personally I see some value in word searches and most kids enjoy doing them.
HOW TO DO A WORD SEARCH
There are actually some basic tips and steps that make finding the words in a word search easier.
Children may not know the best methods for locating the words they are looking for and can become very frustrated!
Share these easy tips with your child and they will see a lot more success when they are working on these activity sheets.
- Look for double letters first. Those will typically pop off the page. So on this summer word search for kids printable you might want to start with the word, pool. Look for the double o’s.
- Read each line of the word search box and see if any words are there.
- Look at the surrounding letters. So first identify the first letter of the word you are searching for. Then look at each letter around that first letter and see if any of those are the second letter you need. If not, move on to the next first letter you come to and repeat.
- Use your finger as you scan each line. This helps you keep your place and you are less likely to miss a word.
MORE WAYS TO HAVE FUN WITH WORD SEARCHES
If your child really enjoys doing word searches there are lots of different ways to play.
- Kids can actually make their own word searches with different online programs. They can pick which words to find and can make any theme they prefer. One great program to use is on Discovery Education.
- You can purchase word find books. These are perfect for family travel and I love the ones at Dollar Tree. A whole book of puzzles for only one dollar!
- There are online games and apps that have word searches for every idea and theme you can imagine. These don’t require paper or pencil and are played online. I like The Word Search because it is free and you can also print their puzzles off if you prefer to not play online.
PRINTABLE SUMMER WORD SEARCH FOR KIDS
You can download and print off this easy summer word search for kids for your own personal use.
Just fill in the form below to download the Summer Word Search for Kids.
Fill in the form above. After you submit the form, you’ll receive an email from “Wondermom Wannabe” with a direct link to the printable library where you’ll find the link to the printable above as well as all of my other free printables. If you do not see the email in your inbox within a few minutes, check your spam folder.
The most likely place will be in your computer’s Downloads folder. You can also select “Downloads” in your browser menu to see a list of your downloads, then simply select “Show in folder” below the file name to see where it is stored on your computer.
You’ll need a program that supports PDFS, like Adobe Acrobat (which is free). Open the program, click File > Print. Select your printer and set the number of copies you want to print. Double check your print preview, then click print.
If you love summer activities for kids be sure to check these out:
- Summer Reading Challenge
- Printable Summer Bucket List
- 100 Things To Do This Summer
- Printable Summer Scavenger Hunt
Don’t forget to PIN this for later!