This Lasagna Casserole is a hearty and satisfying comfort meal that is incredibly easy to throw together. It’s one of my go-to easy family dinner recipes since the kids all love it too.
My kids love lasagna. I, however, always end up in a battle with the noodles. I burn myself trying to work with them right away, they rip, they don’t fit exactly in the pan the way I want – Making lasagna usually involves a lot of creative non-swearing from me.
I didn’t want my lasagna noodle shortcomings to deprive my children of a dish they love. So, I took all the flavors and textures my kids love in lasagna and combined them in an easy casserole! This lasagna casserole is a great, family-friendly pasta recipe. If you want to try a different version of lasagna, try me Air Fryer Lasagna Rolls.
How to Make Lasagna Casserole
Step 1 – Gather Your Ingredients
The ingredients for my lasagna casserole are pretty similar to regular lasagna ingredients: Meat, onion, mozzarella, ricotta, Parmesan, pasta sauce, egg, and some seasonings. The main difference is that I forego those pesky lasagna noodles and substitute penne pasta.
Step 2 – Cook the Pasta
The penne pasta needs to be cooked before getting combined in the casserole. So get the water boiling and while the noodles cook, work on step 3.
Step 3 – Cook the Meat
While the pasta is boiling, cook the meat and onion in a large skillet. I use ground turkey since it’s less expensive to buy leaner versions than ground beef. You can easily substitute ground beef for ground turkey in this recipe though.
After the mean is browned and the onions are translucent, drain the fat and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Step 4 – Combine the Ingredients
Next, you’ll combine the cheeses, egg, and seasonings in a large bowl.
Mix them together really well so you don’t end up with large clumps of ricotta in your casserole (unless you like that).
Add the pasta and mix well to coat all of the noodles.
Step 5 – Layer the Ingredients
Now you’re ready to assemble your casserole. First, pour the pasta cheese mixture into your baking dish. Next, top with the meat mixture, then the sauce.
You’ll cover it and bake for 45 minutes, then add some mozzarella to the top and bake uncovered just long enough to melt the cheese.
Lasagna Casserole Recipe
Here’s a printable version of the recipe.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs Italian seasoning
- 1 24 oz jar pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- In a large skillet, cook ground turkey and onion over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink. Drain fat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine mozzarella, ricotta, egg, Parmesan, and Italian seasoning. mIx well. Stir in pasta.
- Pour pasta mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with meat mixture and spaghetti sauce. Cover with foil. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of casserole and bake an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
More Easy Pasta Recipes
If you liked this recipe for Lasagna Casserole, you might enjoy some of these other easy pasta dishes.
- Microwave Shrimp Primavera
- Easy Tortellini Dinner
- Florentine Shrimp Macaroni
- Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs
- Classic Tuna Casserole