Instant Pot Butter Chicken is a delicious, easy-to-make dish that is perfect for a weeknight dinner. This dish is made with chicken breasts and a creamy, buttery sauce.
If you love easy Instant Pot recipes, you will love this butter chicken dish. It is simple to make and the end result is a flavorful, creamy curry that the whole family will love.
Instant Pot Indian Chicken Curry
The chicken curry recipe I am sharing today is one of my favorites. I love it because it is simple to make, and the end result is a flavorful, creamy curry that the whole family will love.
- Easy to make
- Perfect for picky eaters
- Looks beautiful on a plate
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
You need several ingredients to make this chicken curry recipe. However, you may already have most of these ingredients on hand, helping you avoid a trip to the grocery store.
- chicken breast cut into 2” bites
- onion diced
- minced garlic
- tomato sauce
- tomato paste
- chili powder
- curry powder
- chopped cilantro
- heavy whipping cream
Milk: Milk is a great substitute for heavy whipping cream.
Turkey: Turkey can be used in place of chicken if you prefer.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need three kitchen tools to help you make this creamy and delicious chicken recipe.
How to Make Instant Pot Butter Chicken
This Instant Pot Butter Chicken recipe comes together in just five simple steps. You will be so glad that you made this dish once it’s finished cooking.
Step 1: Saute the onion
Set the instant pot to sauté mode and melt the butter. Add the onion and sauté until the onion is golden.
Step 2: Toast the garlic
Toss in the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
Step 3: Brown the chicken
Add the chicken and brown the outside. Once the chicken is browned, add the spices, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and cilantro. Sauté for 1 minute.
Step 4: Pressure cook the chicken
Seal the lid and pressure valve and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Let the instant pot naturally release pressure when done.
Step 5: Add in cream
Remove the lid and stir in the cream for 4 minutes. Enjoy best with basmati rice and fresh garlic naan.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Looking for ways to increase the flavor of this dish? Here are my favorite swaps for this recipe.
Coconut: If you love a coconut flavor in your curry, use coconut milk in place of the heavy whipping cream.
Green curry paste: If you want a more intense curry flavor, add in 2 tablespoons of green curry paste.
Garam masala: Add 1 teaspoon of garam masala for a richer flavor profile.
Serving this dish is so easy, here are a few of my favorite side dishes to serve with this homemade curry.
- Leave the cilantro out of this recipe if you are not a fan of the flavor.
- Don’t like spice? Leave out the chili powder.
- Add extra butter if you want a less spicy dish.
Do you have questions about this Instant Pot Butter Chicken recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Store your leftover curry chicken in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until heated through. Or for large amounts reheat in a saucepan on the stove on medium heat.
No, this chicken curry recipe does not freeze well.
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you like Instant Pot recipes, give these recipes a try:
Instant Pot Butter Chicken Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- knife and cutting board
- Instant Pot
- 2-3 chicken breasts cut into 2” bites
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 stick of butter
- 5 tablespoons minced garlic
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Set the instant pot to sauté mode and melt the butter. Add the onion and sauté until onion is golden.
- Toss in the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes
- Add the chicken and brown the outside. Once chicken is browned, add the spices, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and cilantro. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Seal the lid and pressure valve and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Let the instant pot naturally release pressure when done.
- Remove the lid and stir in the cream for 4 minutes.
- Enjoy best with basmati rice and fresh garlic naan.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!