If you love Nutella, you’re going to love these directions on How To Make Homemade Nutella. It’s so easy to make and it tastes just like the real thing, you’ll never want to buy store-bought Nutella again!
If you love using homemade recipes to avoid trips to the grocery store, then this is the recipe for you. This spread is perfect on toast, in crepes, or even eaten straight off the spoon!
Nutella was first invented back in the 1960s in Italy. Today, Nutella is known all over the world and is loved by people of all ages.
One of the best things about making your own Nutella at home is that you can control what goes into it. You can make it as healthy or unhealthy as you want!
Why I Love This Recipe
This recipe for Nutella is so easy to make and is also much cheaper than buying store-bought Nutella. A jar of Nutella costs around $4, but this recipe only costs about $2 to make!
- Easy to make
- Perfect for picky eaters
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
This recipe only requires a few simple ingredients that you can find at your local grocery store.
- raw hazelnuts
- coconut oil, melted
- powdered sugar
- chocolate chips, semi-sweet or milk
- unsweetened cocoa powder
Nuts: If you can’t find hazelnuts, you can also use almonds or walnuts. Just make sure to adjust the amount of sugar in the recipe depending on which nut you use.
Chocolate Chips: I like to use semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe, but feel free to use milk chocolate or even dark chocolate.
Cocoa Powder: If you’ve run out of cocoa powder, you can choose any substitute for cocoa powder.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a handful of kitchen tools to help you make this delicious homemade Nutella.
How to Make Homemade Nutella
This homemade hazelnut spread comes together in just a few easy steps. This recipe is worth the effort, and is especially great at helping you avoid a trip to the grocery store.
Step 1: Air fry the hazelnuts
Place the hazelnuts in the air fryer basket and cook on 350 for 15 minutes.
Step 2: Cool the hazelnuts
Place roasted nuts on a towel to cool, and once cool to touch, remove the skins by rubbing between fingers or rolling in the towel to loosen.
Step 3: Blend the hazelnuts until smooth
Place nuts in a food processor and blend with coconut oil until a paste is formed.
Step 4: Add in the remaining ingredients
Once nuts are finely chopped into a paste, add the vanilla, powdered sugar cocoa and melted chocolate chips. Continue to blend to buttery consistency.
Step 5: Store the hazelnut spread
Store the spread in a clean mason jar or other airtight container.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
There are so many ways that you can customize this recipe to make it your own. Here are a few of my favorite ideas:
Mocha: Add in a teaspoon of espresso powder for a mocha flavor
Dark Chocolate: Use dark chocolate chips for a richer flavor.
Cinnamon: Sprinkle in some cinnamon for a touch of sweetness.
This hazelnut spread is so versatile and can be used in so many different ways. Here are a few of my favorite serving suggestions:
- Spread on toast
- Use as a crepe filling
- Top oatmeal or pancakes
- Use as a filling for homemade pop tarts
- Add to smoothies
- Eat straight from the spoon!
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the best homemade Nutella.
- If your hazelnut spread is too thick, add in a little bit of milk or cream until it reaches the desired consistency.
- If your hazelnut spread is too thin, add in more hazelnuts or chocolate chips.
- You can store this hazelnut spread in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- If you want to make a smaller batch, just halve all of the ingredients.
Do you have questions about How to Make Homemade Nutella? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Store in an airtight container or mason jar in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Yes, this recipe can be frozen. Just place it in a freezer safe container and it will last for up to 6 months.
If you can’t find hazelnuts, you can also use almonds or walnuts. Just make sure to adjust the amount of sugar in the recipe depending on which nut you use.
More Delicious Recipes
If you like delicious recipes, give these recipes a try:
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
- Air Fryer
- kitchen towel
- Food Processor
- airtight container or mason jar
- 12 ounces raw hazelnuts
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips semi-sweet or milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Place the hazelnuts in the air fryer basket and cook on 350 for 15 minutes.
- Place roasted nuts on a towel to cool and once cool to touch, remove the skins by rubbing between fingers or rolling in the towel to loosen.
- Place nuts in a food processor and blend with coconut oil until a paste is formed.
- Once nuts are finely chopped into a paste, add the vanilla, powdered sugar cocoa and melted chocolate chip. Continue to blend to buttery consistency.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!