Homemade chili seasoning can be used in so many different recipes. This MSG-free recipe is simple to make and tastes so much better than store-bought versions.
HOW TO USE CHILI SEASONING
Chili is a staple at our house year-round. There are many other dishes I make that require chili seasoning.
I love to make a double or triple batch of this homemade chili seasoning mix and keep it on hand to add a burst of flavor to other recipes.
Some common recipes that use chili seasoning are casseroles, soups, dips and as a rub for some proteins.
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE SEASONINGS
Once you start making homemade seasoning mixes you will be hooked. It only takes moments to make up a mix and the knowledge of knowing exactly what is in the mixture is comforting.
I have stored my homemade seasoning mixes in different containers over the years. Here are some of my favorite ideas.
- SimpleHouseWare has a great set of 12 spice jars that include labels. These are glass jars and hold 4 ounces.
- I like to keep some large spice containers on hand when I make up big batches of seasoning mixes I use frequently. These hold 16 ounces and are a strong plastic jar.
- The flip-top spice jars are ADORABLE and some spices it is handier to be able to scoop the seasonings out of the open lid. These also come with labels to keep me organized.
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE CHILI SEASONING
I love that this is an MSG-free mix. There are no weird preservatives or additives to the recipe. I am also able to control how much SALT I add to the mix!
- Cayenne Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHILI SEASONING MIX
If you can use measuring spoons then you can make your own seasoning combinations.
STEP ONE: COMBINE SPICES
Measure all of the spices into a medium bowl and stir to combine.
STEP TWO: STORE
Pour the spice mix into an airtight container or jar. I like to use a funnel to pour the spices into the container so that it doesn’t spill.
Store the spice mix in a dark cool location.
This should stay fresh for a month or so. It will not actually go bad, but spices do lose some of their flavor and aroma after enough time has past.
HOMEMADE CHILI SEASONING RECIPE
You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions for this homemade chili seasoning mixture via the recipe card below.
Homemade Chili Seasoning is easy to make and is MSG-free.
- 1.5 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- ½ Tablespoon paprika or mild red chile powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt can omit if desired
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
Put all of the spices into a small bowl or into the jar in which you’ll be storing the mix, then stir or shake until everything is well combined. If you’d like to taste the mix then you can adjust any of the seasoning to your taste.
Store in an airtight container in a dark and cool place. It’ll stay fresh for a month or so and while it won’t go bad, ground spices tend to loose their flavors and aromas.
Feel free to double or triple the ingredients for larger batches.
If you love chili be sure to check out some of our favorite chili recipes that this seasoning blend can be used in:
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Crockpot Vegetarian Chili
- Instant Pot Turkey Chili
- The Very Best and Easiest Instant Pot Chili
Be sure to PIN this for later!