Last Updated on October 4, 2022 by Corinne Schmitt
If you are looking for the perfect fall meal idea you will love this crockpot vegetarian chili. Packed full of nutritious ingredients, this is a hearty and delicious chili recipe the whole family will love.
IS CHILI ANY GOOD WITHOUT MEAT?
I am not a true vegetarian, but I do like to serve my family vegetarian meals on a regular basis. It is nice to be able to pack extra veggies into their diets by making vegetarian recipes.
A lot of people think that chili has to be packed full of beef, sausage or even turkey. Meat doesn’t guarantee a good chili. Chili is actually just as good without the meat.
The key to a good chili is the seasonings and flavor. My family loves this slow cooker vegetarian chili just as much as traditional chili recipes.
INGREDIENTS FOR CROCKPOT VEGETARIAN CHILI
This crockpot chili recipe is choke full of yummy ingredients. One nice thing about soups is the ease with which you can adjust the ingredients based on personal preferences.
Feel free to add extra veggies or different veggies to please your family members.
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- Black Beans
- Diced Tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Garlic Cloves
- Green Bell Pepper
- Red Bell Pepper
- Cinnamon Stick
- Chile Powder
- Vegetable Broth
- Fresh Cilantro
- Optional Topping Ideas: Avocado, Diced Tomatoes, Lime Wedges, Green Onion, Tortilla Chips
HOW TO MAKE CROCKPOT VEGETARIAN CHILI
I love that there is no meat to brown for this recipe. It speeds the whole cooking process up for me!
STEP ONE: CHOP VEGGIES
Start off by chopping the red onion and bell peppers into very small bite-sized pieces.
Mince the garlic cloves and chop the fresh cilantro.
STEP TWO: ADD INGREDIENTS
Grab your crockpot and add the chipotle peppers with the adobo sauce, black beans (that have been drained and rinsed), corn, uncooked quinoa, diced tomatoes with the juices, chopped red onion, minced garlic, chopped bell peppers, cinnamon stick, chile powder, oregano, vegetable broth and HALF of the chopped cilantro.
Stir the ingredients together.
STEP THREE: COOK
Cook the chili on low for 7-8 hours or cook on high for 4-6 hours. Keep the lid on the crockpot! No peeking!
When the chili is done cooking remove the cinnamon stick before serving.
STEP FOUR: ADD OPTIONAL TOPPINGS
Dish your crockpot vegetarian chili into bowls and add toppings as desired. My favorite is to add some slices of avocado and serve it with tortilla chips.
CROCKPOT VEGETARIAN CHILI RECIPE
I know you are anxious to make this amazing and easy crockpot vegetarian chili recipe. You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions via the recipe card below.
Crockpot Vegetarian Chili
- ½ can Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce use 1/2 of a 7 ounce can
- 2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, with juices 14 ounce cans
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1 Tbs chile powder
- 1 Tbs oregano mexican oregano if you have it!
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro divided
- Optional Toppings: cilantro, diced avocado, diced tomatoes, lime wedges, hot sauce, diced green onion, tortilla chips
- Place everything up through brothe in crock-pot/slow-cooker. Add in half of the chopped cilantro. (Save the other half of cilantro for garnishing).
- Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or high for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove cinnamon stick, and stir well before serving.
- Serve in bowls and top with any of the following: cilantro, diced avocado, diced tomatoes, lime wedges, hot sauce, diced green onion, tortilla chips
Did I mention this is also wonderful served with cornbread?? YUMMY!
If you loved this vegetable-based recipe be sure to check these other ideas out:
- Instant Pot Mushroom Pasta
- Caprese Stuffed Portobella Mushrooms
- Instant Pot Quinoa Black Bean Salad
- Black Bean Tostados
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe so you can come back and make it again and again!