Last Updated on April 15, 2021 by Corinne Schmitt
This Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is one of my favorite comfort food dishes. This Instant Pot chicken recipe is full of fresh, wholesome ingredients with a good dose of Tex Mex flavors (which I love!).
Ever since I got my Instant Pot, it’s been my favorite way to make dinner. Even though I was disappointed that food wasn’t done instantly, as the name implied, my dinner prep and clean up process was instantly transformed.
I love my Instant Pot because I can almost always prepare dinner in a single pot, I can let the pot do all the work while I get other things done, and I can still have dinner ready on time even if I forgot to prep for it in the morning.
If you’re a regular here, you know I make a lot of Mexican-inspired dishes. Everyone in my family loves Mexican food so I incorporate those flavors a lot into my recipes.
This Instant Pot White Chicken Chili has all the things I love in a dinner dish – all natural ingredients, great flavor, and can be made in the Instant Pot. I hope you love it as much as we do.
How to Make Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
The recipe is as simple as 1-2-3.
Step 1 – Brown the Chicken
First, you’ll need to sauté the chicken. This will help ensure the chicken cooks all the way through without making the other ingredients mushy during pressure cooking.
And though I hate dirtying extra dishes, before moving onto the next step, you need to remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and set it aside.
Step 2 – Add Remaining Ingredients
Leave the Instant Pot on Sauté to cook the onion. Once it starts to turn translucent, add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds.
Next, turn the Instant Pot off and add the beans, seasoning, chicken and broth.
Step 3 – Cook
Finally, secure the Instant Pot lid, press the manual setting and cook for 25 minutes. Quick release.
Your Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is ready to serve! I like to add a lot of toppings like cilantro, grated cheese, Greek yogurt (my kids prefer sour cream), corn and lime.
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili Recipe
Ready to make this Instant Pot White Chicken Chili? Here’s the recipe card with the exact measurements.
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 1 Tb Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup White Onion about ½ med onion, Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 4 oz Can Green Chilis
- 3 Cans White Beans Cannellini or Great Northern, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ tablespoon Ancho Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ Cup Cilantro Chopped (Optional)
- ½ Cup Grated Cheese Optional
- ½ Cup Plain Greek Yogurt/Sour Cream Optional
- ½ Cup Frozen/Thawed or Canned Corn Optional
- 1 Lime Cut into wedges (Optional)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Set Instant Pot to sauté for 10 minutes and allow to preheat.
- Add oil to pot, and add chicken and brown on each side, about 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onion to pot and sauté until edges turn translucent, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add beans, seasonings, chilis, chicken, and broth to pot. Cook on Manual for 25 minutes and release pressure valve.
- Serve topped with your choice of cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and lime.
More Instant Pot Dinner Recipes
As I already mentioned, I love Mexican food. If you liked this Instant Pot White Chicken Chili you might enjoy some of my other Mexican-inspired Instant Pot recipes: