If your family enjoys flavorful and filling meals they will love this Ham and Cheese Tortellini recipe. It is packed full of hearty ingredients and even has a vegetable inside!
If you like ham and pasta meals, you should also check out this Ham Tetrazzini.
TIPS FOR QUICK FAMILY MEALS
Most of the families I know have hectic weeknight schedules. There are sporting events, practices and homework! It can make getting a nice dinner on the table difficult.
I love dinner recipes that are filling and fast to make. It makes my evening a little less crazy and no one leaves the table hungry.
There are some easy ways to make meal-time faster without sacrificing taste. I love to use certain ingredients to save time. Here are some easy ingredients that you can build a meal around!
- Frozen Tortellini can be used for casseroles, cold salads and lots more.
- Ready Rice is perfect for making Mexican or Asian bowls and it comes in brown, white, Jasmine and other flavors. I save so much time not having to cook dry rice!
- Shredded Chicken can be used in enchiladas, tacos, bowls and all sorts of casseroles. Make up a pot on Sunday and use it several times during the week!
- Frozen vegetables are a life-saver! I love the bags that self-steam because it is a totally hassle-free side dish.
INGREDIENTS FOR HAM AND CHEESE TORTELLINI
I love that this recipe has peas in it. It is an easy veggie to throw into a casserole-type meal and my kids never complain.
- Frozen Tortellini
- Black Forest Ham Lunch Meat
- Frozen Peas
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Salt and Pepper
HOW TO MAKE HAM AND CHEESE TORTELLINI
This quick and easy dinner will be on the table in no time. You will be surprised by how tasty and creamy this dish ends up.
STEP ONE: BROWN ONIONS
Place a large skillet on the stove over medium-high heat.
Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet.
Dice 1/2 of an onion into small pieces and add to the skillet of melted butter. Brown the onions.
STEP TWO: ADD HAM
Take the package of black forest ham lunch meat and chop it up into small pieces.
Add the ham to the skillet of browned onions.
Add the minced garlic to the skillet and cook for a minute or so until fragrant.
STEP THREE: ADD TORTELLINI
Pour the chicken broth into the skillet. Add the tortellini and stir.
Cover the skillet with a lid and bring to a boil. Cook for about 12 minutes.
STEP FOUR: ADD CREAM AND PEAS
Now add 1/4 cup of heavy cream to the skillet and stir.
Add the frozen peas to the mixture and stir to combine. You can add more or fewer peas depending on your family’s preference.
Stir in about 1/2 cup of the shredded Monterey Jack cheese and season the skillet mixture with salt and pepper, to taste.
STEP FIVE: BROIL
Transfer the whole mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the top.
Place in the oven on Broil for about 3 minutes or until the cheese starts getting bubbly and lightly brown on top. Watch the casserole closely so it doesn’t burn!
This would also be a great recipe for leftover ham from Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas!
You can find the complete ingredients and instructions for this delicious Ham and Cheese Tortellini recipe via the recipe card below.
Ham and Cheese Tortellini
- 1 bag frozen tortellini a large bag
- 9 oz black forest ham lunch meat
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas small bag
- 1 ½ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ onion
- 8 oz chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat.
- Dice ½ an onion and brown in the skillet.
- Open the ham and dice the ham. Add to the onion mixture.
- Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, 30-60 seconds.
- In the skillet, add chicken broth and the tortellini. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook for 12 minutes.
- Pour in ¼ cup heavy cream.
- Add 1 ½ cups frozen peas (more or less depending on your preference) and stir into the tortellini mixture.
- Stir in ½ cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the tortellini mixture from the skillet to a baking dish.
- Top with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese and broil for about 3 minutes or until the cheese is getting bubbly. Be sure to watch it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Serve immediately.
If you would like some more great dinner ideas, be sure to check these recipes out:
- Easy Crockpot Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Foil Packets
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Turkey Noodle Casserole
- Homemade Cheeseburger Macaroni
Be sure to PIN this for later!