Chicken Taco Bowls are a family favorite in my house. They’re super easy to make, are full of amazing Mexican flavors, and your hands-on time is almost nothing!
Looking for the Instant Pot version of this recipe? CLICK HERE
I first came up with this recipe using my Instant Pot (you can see that recipe here). The great thing about this recipe is that it’s just as easy to make in a slow cooker!
So, if you don’t have an Instant Pot, or don’t want to wait for it to work its magic in the evening, you can get the same great dish by throwing everything in your Crock-Pot in the morning before starting your day and dinner will be ready when you are at the end of the day.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowls
Ready to make some crockpot chicken taco bowls? Let’s get started!
For this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Two packets of taco seasoning
- One 15-ounce can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- One 12-ounce bag of frozen corn
- One 15.5-ounce jar of your favorite salsa
- Half a cup of water or chicken broth
- Three cups of cooked rice
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream, jalapenos, guacamole/avocado
Homemade Taco Seasoning
If you don’t have (or don’t want to use) packaged taco seasoning, you can easily make your own. Just combine:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
To make this dish, follow these steps:
First, add the corn, black beans and salsa to your slow cooker. Make sure you’ve rinsed the beans well before adding them.
Next, add the chicken in a nice, even layer over the other ingredients. Top with taco seasoning.
Pour the water or broth over the chicken.
Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours. The chicken will be fully cooked and shred easily. Use a fork to shred the chicken (or a mixer).
Serve over cooked rice. Sprinkle with shredded cheese on top and add your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Mix up a classic margarita to wash down your chicken taco bowls. Better yet, have your partner mix one up while you shred the chicken (or vice versa!).
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowl Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowls
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 12 oz bag frozen corn
- 1 15.5 oz jar salsa
- 2 lbs uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 packets taco seasoning
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup water or chicken broth
- cheddar cheese
- cilantro optional
- sour cream optional
- jalapenos optional
- guacamole or sliced avocado optional
- Add beans, corn, and salsa to slow cooker. Top with chicken breasts and sprinkle taco seasoning over the chicken.
- Pour water (or broth) over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Shred chicken. Serve over rice. Top with cheddar cheese, cilantro, sour cream, jalapenos, and/or avocado as desired