Last Updated on March 31, 2022 by Corinne Schmitt
Chocolate Chip French Toast is a special breakfast or brunch treat that will make everyone glad they got up to eat. This baked breakfast recipe has a shortcut that keeps it very easy to make!
WHAT IS BAKED FRENCH TOAST?
Baked french toast is one of my favorite breakfasts.
Traditional French toast is made on the stovetop and requires you to stand there and cook slice after slice of toast in the skillet. I have a large family and this can be a LONG process. Invariably I end up eating last.
Baking French toast in the oven is so much easier and the result is just as delicious if not more delicious.
I like the option of preparing baked French toast the night before and keeping it in the refrigerator overnight and in the morning just popping the pan into the oven to bake.
The basic ingredients are the same, but it is easier to change up baked French toast for variety.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE CHIP FRENCH TOAST
The best part of this recipe is that you are able to use a shortcut by buying chocolate chip brioche bread as a base!
- Chocolate Chip Brioche Bread
- Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Chips
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP FRENCH TOAST
This is a simple recipe to double if you are cooking brunch for a crowd.
STEP ONE: PREPARE PAN
Start off by preheating the oven to 350°F.
Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
STEP TWO: ADD BREAD
Take a loaf of chocolate chip brioche bread and cut the bread into quarters.
Layer half of the bread into the bottom of the baking dish and set aside for now.
STEP THREE: MIX WET INGREDIENTS
In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk and vanilla extract and whisk to combine well.
STEP FOUR: MIX DRY INGREDIENTS
Now grab a small bowl and combine the cinnamon and sugar. Stir to combine these dry ingredients.
STEP FIVE: LAYER FRENCH TOAST
Pour half of the wet ingredients over the bread in the baking dish.
Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Layer the remaining bread on top and pour the remaining egg mixture over the top. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon and sugar mixture over the top.
STEP SIX: REFRIGERATE
Place the baking dish in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 30 minutes to give the bread time to soak up all the goodness.
STEP SEVEN: BAKE
Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place it in the preheated oven.
Bake for 30 minutes and then remove the foil.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the casserole and bake uncovered for 15 more minutes.
Serve hot with syrup and whipped topping.
CHOCOLATE CHIP FRENCH TOAST RECIPE
You can print off this amazing chocolate chip French toast recipe via the recipe card below.
Chocolate Chip French Toast
- 1 loaf chocolate chip brioche bread cut into quarters
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish and place half the bread in a single layer along the bottom of the dish. Set aside.
- Place eggs, milk, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar.
- Pour half the egg mixture over the top of the bread and top with half the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place the remaining bread on top of the coated bread layer and top with the remaining egg mixture and remaining cinnamon sugar.
- Place the casserole in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil cover and add chocolate chips to the top of the casserole. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
If you loved this baked breakfast recipe be sure to check these out:
- Overnight Cherry Baked French Toast Casserole
- Overnight Pumpkin French Toast
- Instant Pot French Toast Casserole
- Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole: Blueberry French Toast
Be sure to PIN this recipe for later!