This Blueberry French Toast is one of my family’s favorite make ahead breakfast casseroles. It looks and tastes like dessert but the eggs, milk, and blueberries give your family a good dose of protein, calcium and antioxidants.
How to Make Blueberry French Toast
Like most of my recipes, this one is just a few simple steps.
Step 1 – Make Bread Cubes
The first thing you need to do is to slice your bread into 1″ cubes. I used sandwich bread for this batch, but a loaf of french bread also works well.
If you want to make this healthier, you can swap out the white bread for whole wheat.
Place the bread cubes in a baking dish and sprinkle the blueberries on top.
Step 2 – Prepare Egg Mixture
Next, you’ll whisk together the egg, milk, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
Pour the egg mixture over the bread crumbs, making sure to coat all of the pieces.
Step 3 – Refrigerate
The egg mixture needs about 30 minutes to soak into the bread completely, but can soak overnight in the refrigerator too. So, you can prepare it the night before and all you have to do the next day is toss it in the oven while you get the family ready for the day.
Step 4 – Bake
Now you just have to pop it in the oven for 45 minutes to finish it.
If you get up much earlier than your kids, you could make this for a weekday breakfast. Since my kids leave an hour apart due to different school start times, we usually reserve this meal for weekends.
You can sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top or serve with syrup. I sometimes heat up frozen blueberries in the microwave and as they warm up, it creates a simple blueberry syrup that goes well poured over the French toast casserole.
Make Ahead Blueberry French Toast Recipe
Here’s a printable version of the recipe.
Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole: Blueberry French Toast
- 10 slices bread
- 1 cup blueberries
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk or cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Powdered sugar or maple syrup for serving
- Cut the bread into 1″ cubes and place in a buttered/greased 8×8 casserole dish. Sprinkle blueberries over the bread pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes and blueberries; cover.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325F and bake for 45 minutes, until the eggs are set and the bread is golden brown.