Peppermint Bars are the perfect combination of chocolate and peppermint. A cookie layer, a peppermint layer and chocolate on top make this dessert recipe hard to resist! These bars will get you into the Christmas Spirit for sure.
FOOD MAKES A GREAT GIFT
As we get nearer to the holidays I am always thinking about gift ideas for people in my life that deserve a little something extra. We know that budgets get tight during the holidays and going out and buying items isn’t always practical for everyone on our list.
Baked goods can make great Christmas gifts for some of the people in our lives! People love to get homemade treats!!
These Peppermint Bars are perfect for a tin of goodies. Not everything you bake or make in the kitchen works well as a gift. Some items get all messed up in a tin or jar.
Here are some other good recipes for gift giving:
- A jar of these crockpot peanut clusters will make anyone smile. This also makes a huge batch so you can give out lots of jars.
- Most people adore fudge and this Reese’s Peanut Butter Fudge will be a gift that will get you a thank you card for sure.
- A loaf of banana bread that is wrapped in pretty Christmas cellophane and tied with a ribbon is always a great food gift idea. This recipe only has 3 ingredients too!
- If you are giving out a gift to a home with kids be sure to add some of these No Bake Nutella Christmas Cookies. The whole family will love them!
BEST CONTAINERS FOR GIFTING BAKED GOODS
If you are giving baked goods as a gift it is always nice to have a cute container. It is amazing with a ribbon can do to bring a gift from okay to stellar!
Here are some great containers that will turn your recipes into coveted gifts:
- Cookie boxes are easy to assemble and come already decorated for any holiday during the year. You can get different sizes depending on how many cookies you are gifting.
- Mason jars are perfect for holding cookies, nuts and even peanut clusters. You can buy some ribbon to decorate the top of the jar and you are set!
- Cookie tins are nice because the person can reuse the tin for decoration or to hold goodies. They come in a variety of sizes and you can always find these at Dollar Tree!
- If you are giving decorated cupcakes be sure to get cupcake boxes so the cupcakes stay looking great.
INGREDIENTS FOR PEPPERMINT BARS
There are only 7 ingredients in this easy dessert recipe. The peppermint extract was the only thing I didn’t have in my pantry.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Powdered Sugar
- Peppermint Extract
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
HOW TO MAKE PEPPERMINT BARS
This is a quick recipe to throw together and my family always loves to have these during the holiday months.
STEP ONE: PREPARE PAN
Start off by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F.
Take a 9 x 13 baking pan and line it with foil or parchment paper. This will make removal from the pan so much easier!
STEP TWO: MAKE COOKIE LAYER
In a mixing bowl add the butter and sugar. Cream these together.
Mix in the flour.
Put this mixture into the baking pan and press it down with your fingers or the back of a spatula.
Use a fork to poke some holes in this layer and then place it in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and cool in pan on a wire rack.
STEP THREE: MAKE PEPPERMINT LAYER
Grab another bowl or wash out the mixing bowl you used earlier.
Sift the powdered sugar into the bowl.
Add in the peppermint extract and the water. Stir these together to mix them well.
Spread the peppermint mixture over the cooled cookie layer.
STEP FOUR: CHOCOLATE
It is time to melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips. You can do this in the microwave or on the stovetop in a small saucepan.
Once the chocolate chips are melted spread them over the peppermint layer.
Let the chocolate harden and then slice the bars and serve!
PEPPERMINT BARS RECIPE
I know you are anxious to try this recipe for minty peppermint bars out! You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions via the recipe card below.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9x13 or slightly smaller baking pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Cream together butter and sugar and mix in the flour. Press down into the pan. Poke holes in the cookie layer and bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool and mix the next layer.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a bowl and then add in the peppermint extract and water. Spread this over the cookie layer.
- Melt the chocolate and pour and spread over the peppermint.
- Let chocolate harden and then slice into bars.
If you loved this easy dessert recipe be sure to check these out:
- Snowman Nutter Butter Cookies
- Slow Cooker Candied Pecans
- Eggnog Truffles
- Nutter Butter Reindeer
- Microwave Rice Krispie Treat for One
Be sure to PIN this recipe so you can come back and make it again and again!