Mini Strawberry Lemon Tarts are a bright and flavorful spring dessert. This easy dessert recipe uses mini pie shells to save you time in the kitchen.
What is a lemon tart?
If you have never had a lemon tart you have been missing out!
Lemon tarts generally have a pastry type of pie crust. Inside the crust is a lemon custard filling.
Many recipes call for the custard filling to be baked in the oven.
The lemon custard filling is generally a fairly simple recipe that requires eggs, sugar and lemon juice.
Lemon tarts are sweet and tart and very lemony. If you like lemon bars you will probably adore lemon tarts!
Ingredients for Mini Lemon Tarts
There are only 6 ingredients in this delicious tart recipe. The bold lemon flavor is truly addicting.
- Mini Pie Shells
How to Make Mini Strawberry Lemon Tarts
I love small handheld desserts. These lemon tarts are single serving and are perfect on a platter for parties.
This is a simple recipe to double or triple for a crowd.
Step 1: Make Custard
In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the eggs, granulated sugar, and butter over medium-high heat on the stovetop. Stir the ingredients while they are cooking to make sure they are well-combined. Continue stirring until the ingredients are all melted together.
Add the lemon juice and the lemon rind to the mixture and stir to combine.
Lower the heat to medium and whisk the ingredients often for about 6-7 minutes or until a thick custard forms.
Step 2: Chill Custard
Once the custard has formed, remove the saucepan from the heat. Pour the custard into a medium-sized bowl and cover it with plastic wrap.
Place the custard in the refrigerator and chill for 2 hours.
Step 3: Bake Pie Shells
While the custard is chilling it is time to prepare the frozen mini pie shells.
Bake the pie shells according to the package directions.
Once they are cooked, remove the shells from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
Step 4: Fill Shells
Once the custard is chilled and the pie shells are cooled it is time to fill the shells.
Fill each pie shell with custard and then top with a slice of strawberry.
Refrigerate any leftovers.
You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions for these mini strawberry lemon tarts via the recipe card below.
Mini Strawberry Lemon Tarts
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 small lemons juice and rind of 2 small lemons
- 3 strawberries sliced
- 10 mini pie shells frozen
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, mix together eggs, sugar and butter over medium high heat. Stir until all ingredients are melted and are well-incorporated with each other.
- Add lemon juice and lemon rind. Stir.
- Lower heat to medium and whisk the ingredients consistently, for about 6-7 minutes, until a thick custard forms.
- Pour lemon custard into a bowl, covering it with plastic. Chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- Bake frozen pie shells according to package’s directions. Cool completely.
- Once everything is chilled, fill up each pie shell with custard. Top off with a strawberry slice. Serve and enjoy!
If you love easy dessert ideas be sure to check these out:
- Cherry Pie Cookie Cups
- Mini Raspberry Tarts
- Apple Pie Bites
- Strawberry Lime Sugar Cookie Tarts
- Strawberry Poke Cake: The Perfect Dessert
- Strawberry Lemonade Crinkle Cookies
- Lemon Cream Puffs With Fresh Blueberries
Be sure to PIN this for later!