I finally converted one of our favorite dinners into an Instant Pot recipe. This Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole is the perfect way to enjoy this easy dinner during warm weather since you won’t heat up the house running the oven.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole is one of my easiest dinners to start with so you might be wondering why I wanted to convert it for the Instant Pot. Great question!
The recipe couldn’t get easier, but clean up could! I love instant pot recipes because they really are one-pot meals. When I make this casserole the traditional way, I have to cook the chicken in a separate pan or pot and transfer it to a casserole dish. In the Instant Pot, I keep everything in one pot.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
With just a few ingredients, this recipe is super easy to prepare. Here’s the breakdown with step-by-step photos.
Step 1 – Cook the Chicken
First, we need to cook the chicken. Add the chicken breasts to the Instant Pot and pour the enchilada sauce over them.
Cook for 10 minutes and quick release.
Step 2 – Shred the Chicken
The chicken should pull apart easily. Use two forks to shred the chicken right inside the pot.
Step 3 – Add Remaining Ingredients
Next, you’ll add cheese, black olives, and tortillas to the pot.
Stir it all up so everything is mixed together.
Then top with more cheese and black olives.
Step 4 – Cook Again
We need to melt the cheese so we cook for an additional 3 minutes and use a natural release.
Dinner’s ready! Just spoon a generous serving onto each plate and top with sour cream and chopped cilantro.
Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
Here’s a printable version of the recipe.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1½ cups black olives, sliced
- 10 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Sour cream, optional garnish
- Cilantro, optional garnish
- Place the chicken in the Instant Pot and pour the red enchilada sauce overtop.
- Place the cover on and seal. Set IP to Meat for 10 minutes. Quick release.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Add in half of the cheese, 1 cup of the black olives and all of the sliced tortillas. Stir to incorporate.
- Top with remaining cheese and olives.
- Cover and cook on the same settings for 3 minutes to melt the cheese. Natural release.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro.
No Instant Pot? No Problem!
To bake it in the oven, put the chicken breasts in a saucepan and cover with water. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil and then simmer for an additional 10-12 minutes (until chicken is no longer pink). Shred the chicken. Then layer the ingredients in a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish in this order:
- 1/2 the chicken
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1/2 the tortilla strips
- 2 cups cheese
- 1 cup black olives
- remaining chicken
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- remaining tortilla strips
- 1 cup cheese
- 1/2 cup black olives
Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 more minutes. Let cook for 10 minutes before serving.
I hope your family loves this Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole as much as we do! To see more of our favorite dinner recipes, click on them below.
Latest posts by Corinne Schmitt (see all)
- How to Clean, Store and Chop Fresh Herbs: 3 Important Tips - July 28, 2017
- 25+Free Printables for Organizing Home Life - July 27, 2017
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob - July 26, 2017