This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is quick and easy to make at home. Loaded with the goodness of beans and vegetables, the spicy Mexican Tortilla Soup will be a hearty hit with family and friends.
What is Mexican Tortilla Soup?
Popular among Mexican dishes, the traditional Mexican Sopa de tortilla or Mexican tortilla soup is a spicy broth made of chicken, corn, tomatoes, beans, chilies, onions, garlic, and seasoning. Heartwarming and delicious, the soup is the perfect dish for dinner!
In Mexico City, this easy tortilla soup is usually served with strips of chopped up fried tortillas thrown into the mixture. But it’s also perfect with the tortillas on the side, just like I make it at home. The soup can be served with a final topping of sour cream or cheese, diced avocado, or fried pork rinds called chicharrones.
The secret to any good homemade Mexican tortilla soup is in the ingredients. We use some rich and flavorful ingredients that give the soup its homey and wholesome taste.
- Diced Onions
- Canned tomatoes with chilies
- Chicken Breast
- Chicken Broth
- Minced Garlic
- Taco Seasoning
- Canned Chili Beans
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Step 1: Sauté the Onions and Garlic
Turn on the instant pot in saute mode. Add in the vegetable oil and saute the chopped onions. Once the onions are translucent in color, saute the garlic as well.
Step 2: Heat the Broth
Add the water and chicken broth to the instant pot. Deglaze the bottom of the pan by scraping it with a spoon, preferable wooden.
Step 3: Add the Taco Seasoning
Add the taco seasoning to the liquid mixture and stir well.
Step 4: Add the Other Ingredients
Add the whole chicken breasts, chili beans, tomatoes with chilies, corn, and stir well.
Step 5: Pressure Cook
Close the instant pot with the lid and let it pressure cook for 30 minutes. Once the time is up, allow it to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure.
Step 6: Shred the Chicken
Take the chicken breasts out of the instant pot and shred them. Be careful while doing this since the chicken is hot. If you don’t want to use your hands, you can use a knife and fork for shredding. Hold the chicken in place with the knife, and shred it with the fork.
Step 7: Add the Shredded Chicken
Add the shredded chicken back to the pot. Stir well, and serve in soup bowls.
Optional Serving Suggestions and Tips
- Top the Mexican Tortilla Soup with sour cream or cream cheese and chopped jalapeno peppers to serve.
- Serve with a side of your favorite tortilla chips.
- If you want to add more green to your soup, cover with diced avocados before serving.
- The chicken broth can be prepared beforehand on the same day or earlier in the week and stored in the refrigerator.
- Be careful will shredding the chicken because it will be hot. Wear gloves if you need to, or use the shredding method listed in Step 7 above.
- If you want to make this in a slow cooker, you can. Just do Step 1 in a skillet first, and then Steps 2 through 7 in the slow cooker.
FAQs About Instant Pot Tortilla Soup
You can store leftover tortilla soup in the freezer section of your refrigerator. Let the soup cool completely, transfer it to airtight containers and freeze. It will last for months.
Yes, you can crumble a few tortillas and add to the soup just before serving.
Yes, this easy tortilla soup is gluten free.
Serve the chicken tortilla soup with guacamole, french fries, salsa, cornbread, and of course tortillas.
Yes, of course, you can. Prepare the chili beans using this instant recipe and use them.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Honey Jalapeno Mexican Cornbread Recipe
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions for this Mexican Tortilla Soup recipe via the recipe card below.
If you love this recipe please leave a 5-star rating!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Electric Pressure Cooker
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 10-oz can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 15.5-oz can chili beans
- 1 10-oz bag frozen corn
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode and add vegetable oil. When the oil is heated, add the onions and sauté until translucent, around 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Turn off Instant Pot and add chicken broth and water. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula to deglaze.
- Season the liquid with taco seasoning.
- Add the chicken, tomatoes with chilies, chili beans, and corn. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set to pressure cook for 30 minutes. When the cook time is up, allow to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, then do a quick release to release remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and remove the chicken breast. Shred the chicken and place it back in the pot. Stir and serve.