Last Updated on November 5, 2022 by Corinne Schmitt
This Tex Mex Chicken Soup is a warm, satisfying meal that’s perfect for Fall. It includes a secret ingredient that lends a wonderful creaminess and mild sweetness to offset the spices. Read on to find out what it is!
During winter I crave warm, hearty meals. I try to avoid really heavy foods though that will add on a winter layer I will have to shed once warmer weather arrives.
That’s why many of my favorite winter recipes are soups and stews. My all-time favorite soup is Tex-Mex Chicken Soup. I use a recipe that I adapted from one I found at Budget Bytes that is actually a pumpkin soup.
I realized that the pumpkin puree created a beautifully creamy texture. It also has just a hint of sweetness which blends deliciously with the chipotle peppers!
How to Make the Best Tex Mex Chicken Soup
This recipe is very simple but does have a few steps. You could just dump everything in at once, but you’ll get a better result if you take the time to saute and simmer as directed.
You should be able to find everything you need at your average grocery store. The ingredients are pretty basic (the chipotle peppers should be in the Mexican/Latin food aisle).
I just love how colorful this soup is! Look at the bright, pretty colors of the ingredients. It’s just like my Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.
Step 1: Saute the onions and garlic
First, we’re going to pull all that yummy flavor out of the fresh onions and garlic by sauteing them in olive oil for a few minutes.
Step 2: Add chicken and stock
Once the onions are translucent, add your chicken breasts and chicken stock to the pot.
Increase the heat and bring the liquid to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and simmer for half an hour to cook the chicken.
Step 3: Shred the chicken
Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it with two forks.
Then, add the chicken back to the broth.
Step 4: Add remaining ingredients
Next, add the secret ingredient — the pumpkin puree.
Follow the pumpkin puree with fresh diced tomatoes.
Give the soup a good stir to combine the ingredients.
After the pumpkin and tomatoes have been mixed in, pour in rinsed black beans.
Then corn kernels.
And we finish with traditional Tex Mex spices. Add some cumin.
And finally, some chili powder.
Give it another good stir to combine the ingredients.
We need to let the soup simmer for another 10 minutes to make sure all of the ingredients are heated through. Once the soup is nice and hot, spoon out servings into bowls and top with cilantro.
You can also sprinkle on cheese and a dollop of sour cream if you want.
The Best Tex Mex Chicken Soup Recipe
Trust me. After you make this once, it’s going to be one of your favorites. Print off the recipe for the Best Tex Mex Chicken Soup below.
The Best Tex Mex Chicken Soup
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 c chicken stock
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 16 oz. carton pumpkin puree
- 1 to mato diced
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 1/2 c frozen corn
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 T cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in large stock pot. Add onions and garlic and saute over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken breasts to the pot and pour in chicken stock. Cover. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred. Return the shredded chicken to the pot. Add the pumpkin puree and diced tomatoes and mix well.
- Mince one or two chipotle peppers (depending on whether you want mild or medium spice) and add to the soup. Also add one to two teaspoons of the adobo sauce.
- Rinse the black beans and add them to the soup. Add the corn. Add the cumin and chili powder.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then serve.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired.