Last Updated on January 5, 2022 by Corinne Schmitt
Sandwiches filled with Egg Salad Without Mustard come together quickly since we use Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs. Who knew that cooking eggs in an air fryer results in perfect hard-boiled eggs?
This sandwich filling is perfect for kids since it doesn’t have the spiciness of mustard. These egg salad sandwiches are a protein-packed meal!
Egg Salad Without Mustard
When making egg salad for sandwiches, I like this flavorful, but less zesty recipe instead of the Classic Egg Salad I make when serving the salad as a side dish. No mustard or pickle juice in this version!
The dill in this recipe adds a nice burst of flavor, without the tartness that mustard or pickles can bring. This makes it ideal for serving at brunch or lunch, especially if you’ll be serving kids.
Ingredients / Shopping List
One of the great things about this recipe is that you will likely almost always have the ingredients you need on hand since they are kitchen staples. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of dill
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 8 slices of bread
Substitutions and Additions
Mayonnaise: I like the tangy taste of mayonnaise in egg salad, but many people don’t like the flavor of mayo. If you’re one of those people (or are serving one), you can substitute an equal portion of ricotta cheese, plain Greek yogurt, or hummus. Not only will these mix well, they’ll give you some added nutrients too!
Dill: Dill has a fresh, citrusy taste with a subtle sweetness that lends a really nice flavor to this dish. If you find it a little “grassy” but still want to season your egg salad, you can use tarragon or thyme instead.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
- Air fryer: for hard-boiling the eggs
- Mixing bowl: for combining the ingredients
- Cutting board: to cut the eggs on
- Small knife: to chop the egg whites
- Fork: to break up the egg yolks and cream together the ingredients
How to Make Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs
Before we make the egg salad, we have to hard boil the eggs. This is SO EASY in an air fryer!
All you do is:
- Place the eggs in the air fryer basket.
- Cook at 250°F for 17 minutes.
- Transfer the eggs to an ice bath to cool.
How to Make Egg Salad Without Mustard
Step 1: Prepare the Eggs
When they’re fully cooked and cool enough to handle, peel the eggs and slice them in half.
Use a spoon to carefully separate the yolks from the whites. Add the yolks to a mixing bowl and place the whites on a cutting board.
Finely chop the egg whites.
Step 2: Add Remaining Ingredients
Next, you just need to add the mayonnaise and seasoning to the egg yolks.
Use a fork to break up the yolks and mash the ingredients together. Then, add the egg whites to the bowl.
Use the fork to gently stir the egg whites into the mixture.
Step 3: Make Sandwiches
Now we just need to put the sandwiches together.
Spoon a generous serving of egg salad onto a slice of bread, then top it with another slice of bread.
Repeat until you’ve made four sandwiches. Slice the sandwiches in halves (or in quarters, if you prefer) and serve!
Serve with salad and/or fresh fruit for a well-rounded meal.
Low-Carb: Cut the carbs in this recipe by serving the egg salad spooned onto lettuce leaves or with celery sticks, cucumber slices, or mini bell peppers instead.
Optional Add-Ins: Sliced black olives, halved cherry tomatoes, diced celery, diced onions, diced avocado, bacon bits.
Optional Toppings: Add lettuce, sliced tomato and/or sliced avocado to add color and variety to your sandwiches.
Place the egg salad in a sealed container and store in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Technically yes, but I don’t recommend it. When you thaw it, it becomes watery and rubbery. Better to make a fresh batch!
If your egg salad is too wet when you make it, it probably just needs to rest a bit. Cover it and place it in the refrigerator and you’ll notice that it thickens up quickly. If it’s still too thin, you can add some crushed crackers to soak up some of the extra moisture without throwing off the taste.
- Love eggs? Check out this collection of recipes using hard boiled eggs
- This Caesar Chicken Salad Sandwich recipe is another of my favorite sandwiches.
- Prefer a hot sandwich? These Crockpot Italian Beef Sandwiches are as delicious as they are easy to make!
Egg Salad (No Mustard) Sandwich Recipe
Don’t need all the step-by-step images and details? Find the condensed version in the recipe card below.
Tip: You can toggle on “Cook Mode” to keep your screen from going dark while you’re making your egg salad sandwiches!
Egg Salad Without Mustard Sandwich
- Air Fryer
- Mixing Bowl
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- Place eggs in air fryer basket. Cook at 250°F for 17 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the air fryer basket and place them in an ice bath to cool.
- When eggs are cool enough to handle, peel them and cut them in half. Use a spoon to remove the yolks from each half and add the yolks to a mixing bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise and seasonings to the egg yolks. Use a fork to mix together. Stir until smooth.
- Finely chop the egg whites, then stir them into the mixture in the bowl.
- Spread the egg salad onto four slices of sandwich bread. Top each slice with another slice of bread to complete each sandwich. Slice sandwiches in halves or quarters and serve.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!