Last Updated on August 18, 2021 by Corinne Schmitt
This Sugar Plum Fairy Cocktail is the perfect drink for your holiday party! It’s tasty, colorful, and just a little whimsical.
I’m a firm believer that it’s the little extras that transform an ordinary party into a memorable event. A few decorations to liven up the space, some background music to set the atmosphere, and a theme-based cocktail to add some cheer.
So, for your next holiday party, play the Nutcracker in the background, string some fairly lights around for ambiance, pick up some Nutcracker ornaments as party favors, and serve Sugar Plum Fairy cocktails.
A Note About Sugar Plums
Fun fact: Despite the name, did you know that sugar plums have NOTHING to do with plums? They’re actually a mixture of dried fruit, nuts and spices mashed together, then rolled in sugar.
If you want to learn more about real sugar plums and find out how to make your own, check out this post by Toni from Boulder Locavore.
But since most people don’t know what sugar plums actually are, we’re going to use sugars and plums in our sugar plum fairy cocktails. These taste so good, no one’s going to give you a hard time.
How to Make Sugar Plum Fairy Cocktails
If you’re making these cocktails for a party, here are the instructions for making an entire pitcher at once.
- 25 oz. Moscato
- 1 cup Sparkling White Grape Juice
- 2 cups Cranberry Juice
- 2-3 plums, sliced for garnish
- A handful of red grapes for garnish
- A handful of fresh cranberries for garnish
- ¼ cup of sugar for coating
- Extra sugar and light corn syrup to rim the glass – optional
This cocktail comes together really quickly, but you’ll want to make it long before your party so you can give it time to chill properly.
To make it, simply combine the moscato, grape juice and cranberry juice in a large pitcher. Then place the pitcher in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
When you’re ready to serve the cocktails, pour a thin layer of light corn syrup in a shallow dish. On a separate shallow dish, add some sugar.
Dip the rim of each glass first in the corn syrup and then in the sugar. Carefully pour the cocktail into each glass.
Next, in a small bowl, add ¼ cup of sugar. Rinse the cranberries and grapes and shake off the excess water (but don’t wipe dry). Immediately toss the cranberries and grapes into the sugar to coat.
Slice the plums and add a slice, along with a sugared grape and cranberry to a cocktail pick to add to each cocktail.
How to Make a Single Sugar Plum Fairy Cocktail
Perhaps you just want to sip on something festive while you wrap gifts or unwind after a long day of shopping and baking. These sugar plum fairy cocktails aren’t JUST for parties!
The directions are almost identical to the recipe above for making a full pitcher. We just have to adjust the amounts.
- 3 oz. Moscato
- 1 ½ oz. Sparkling White Grape Juice
- 1 ½ oz. Cranberry Juice
You can certainly still slice a plum, but if you don’t want to eat the rest of one, simply use a couple of grapes and cranberries instead of limiting yourself to just one of each, and skip the plum.
If you start with cold Moscato, sparkling grape juice and cranberry juice, you can skip the two hour chilling process. If not, and you don’t want to wait two hours, just add a couple ice cubes.
Sugar Plum Fairy Cocktail
- Large pitcher
- Shallow dish
- Small bowl
- Cocktail glasses
- Cocktail picks
- 25 oz. moscato
- 1 cup sparkling white grape juice
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 2-3 plums sliced for garnish
- 6-8 red grapes for garnish
- 6-8 fresh cranberries for garnish
- ¼ cup of sugar for coating
- extra sugar and light corn syrup to rim the glass (optional)
- Combine moscato and juices in a large pitcher and chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- To serve, add a thin layer of light corn syrup to a shallow dish, then add a thin layer of sugar to another shallow dish. Dip the rim of each glass into the corn syrup, and then into the sugar to coat.
- I a small bowl, add ¼ cup of sugar. Rinse the cranberries and grapes and shake off the water
- just slightly. Toss them into the sugar to coat. Slice the plums. Add one plum slice, one cranberry, and one grape to individual cocktail picks and add them to each glass as a garnish.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it again!
3 thoughts on “Sugar Plum Fairy Cocktail”
So easy to make!
Good, I’m glad you think it’s easy to make. Thanks for commenting.