These Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Sour Cream are light, fluffy, and full of blueberries and lemon flavor. They’re the perfect breakfast or snack on the go.
If you love fresh homemade muffins then this is the recipe for you. Not only are these muffins filled with fruity flavor, but they are also kid-friendly and perfect for an afterschool snack.
Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Sour Cream
Blueberries are one of my favorite summer fruits because they are filled with so much flavor and are perfect for baking. Plus, blueberries are loaded with antioxidants and are a good source of fiber.
Why I Love This Recipe
These Lemon Blueberry Muffins are the perfect breakfast or snack on the go. They’re light, fluffy, and full of blueberries with a tangy twist from fresh lemon juice!
- Easy to make
- Perfect for picky eaters
- Looks beautiful on a plate
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love fruit-flavored muffins, next time check out this Cream Cheese Filled Banana Bread Muffins recipe.
You need a handful of ingredients to make these delicious muffins, but most of these are simple ingredients that you most likely already have on hand, which can save you a trip to the grocery store.
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Sour Cream
- Lemon Juice (about 2 lemons)
- Lemon Extract
- Melted Butter
- Vegetable Oil
- Frozen Blueberries
- Sanding Sugar for Topping
Milk: If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can easily make a substitute by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then use as directed in the recipe.
Blueberries: I like to use frozen blueberries in this recipe because they tend to hold their shape better than fresh blueberries. However, if you only have fresh blueberries on hand, you can definitely use those instead. Just be sure to add them to the batter gently so that they don’t sink to the bottom of the muffin cups.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a handful of kitchen tools to help you make these tasty muffins.
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Sour Cream
Making these lemon blueberry muffins is so easy. Just follow the instructions below and you enjoy a tasty breakfast in no time at all.
Step 1: Whisk together dry ingredients
First set aside 2 tablespoon of flour in a small bowl, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium size bowl and set aside.
Step 2: Beat eggs, and then add in buttermilk and sour cream
With an electric mixer, beat eggs until light and fluffy, add in buttermilk and sour cream and mix thoroughly.
Step 3: Add in the remaining wet ingredients
Add in lemon juice, oil, melted butter, vanilla, and lemon extract. Mix thoroughly.
Step 4: Coat the blueberries in flour
Toss blueberries in 2 tablespoon of flour until coated.
Step 5: Mix together the wet and dry ingredients
Add the dry ingredients gradually into the wet ingredients, mixing after each addition until well incorporated.
Step 6: Gently fold in the blueberries
Fold in the blueberries until evenly distributed.
Step 7: Let the batter rest
Let the batter rest for 30 min, unrefrigerated, lightly covered if desired.
Step 8: Preheat the oven
After the batter has rested, preheat the oven to 400.
Step 9: Fill the cupcake liners
Place muffin wrappers in a muffin tin and fill ¾ of the way full with batter.
Step 10: Sprinkle with sanding sugar
Sprinkle the tops with sanding sugar if desired.
Step 11: Bake
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
Step 12: Allow them to cool
Allow the muffins to cool, then serve and enjoy.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
There are so many delicious ways that you can change up this recipe to make it your own. Here are a few ideas:
Nuts: Add in 1/2 cup of chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts
Fruits: Replace the blueberries with raspberries, blackberries, or diced strawberries
Streusel: Add a streusel topping for extra sweetness.
Here are a few tips to help you make these muffins perfectly:
- Be sure to coat the blueberries in flour before adding them to the batter. This will help them not sink to the bottom of the muffin cups.
- Let the batter rest for 30 minutes before baking. This will help the muffins to be nice and fluffy.
- Be careful not to overmix the batter. Mix just until the ingredients are combined. Overmixing will result in tough muffins.
- You don’t have to use cupcake liners but I like to use them for easy clean-up.
- Spray the inside of the cupcake paper liners lightly with nonstick cooking spray for easy removal.
- If you love lemon flavor, you can add a tablespoon of lemon zest to the batter to increase the flavor.
- You could also top this blueberry muffin recipe with a lemon glaze or powdered sugar.
- Plain Greek yogurt can be used in place of sour cream, if you are out of sour cream or want to increase the protein in the muffins.
Do you have questions about this lemon blueberry muffins with sour cream recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this blueberry sour cream muffins recipe.
Muffins are best stored in an airtight container at room temperature. They will stay fresh for 3-5 days.
Yes, you can freeze these lemon blueberry muffins. Just place them in a freezer-safe bag or container and they will stay fresh for 2-3 months.
To thaw the muffins just place them on the counter for a few hours or overnight. You can also reheat them in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
More Muffin Recipes
If you like muffins, give these recipes a try:
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Chunky Monkey Muffins
- Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Ricotta Lemon Muffins
- Air Fryer Blueberry Muffins
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Sour Cream
- measuring cup and spoons
- hand mixer
- Small bowl
- medium bowl
- muffin pan
- Cupcake Liners
- 2 ¼ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ Cup Buttermilk
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- 1/3 Cup Lemon Juice about 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Extract
- ¼ Cup Melted Butter
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Cups Frozen Blueberries
- Sanding Sugar for Topping
- First set aside 2 tablespoon of flour in a small bowl, then whisk together remaining flour, baking powder and salt in a medium size bowl and set aside.
- With an electric mixer beat eggs until light and fluffy, add in buttermilk and sour cream and mix thoroughly.
- Add in lemon juice, oil, melted butter, vanilla and lemon extract. Mix thoroughly.
- Toss blueberries in 2 tablespoon of flour until coated.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually into the wet ingredients, mixing after each addition until well incorporated.
- Fold in the blueberries until evenly distributed.
- Let the batter rest for 30 min, unrefrigerated, lightly covered if desired.
- After the batter has rested preheat the oven to 400. Place muffin wrappers in a muffin pan and fil ¾ of the way full with batter.
- Sprinkle the tops with sanding sugar if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!