Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken is a delicious, healthy, and easy-to-make dish. It is perfect for a weeknight meal and is a food that your whole family will enjoy.
If you love easy air fryer recipes like this one, then you will enjoy this air fryer tandoori chicken recipe. This healthy recipe is one that even the picky eaters in your family will devour.
- Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken
- Why I Love This Recipe
- Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
- How to Make Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken
- Variations / Options / Add-Ins
- Serving Suggestions
- More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken Recipe
- Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken
Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken
Tandoori chicken is a dish that is traditionally cooked in a tandoor, which is a clay oven. The chicken is marinated in yogurt and spices, and then it is cooked at a high temperature.
This results in the chicken being very moist and juicy. With this recipe, there is no need to use a clay oven, because we are going to use the air fryer that you already have in your kitchen.
Why I Love This Recipe
The best thing about this main dish is that it’s easy to make and doesn’t take long to cook, but it does have quite a bit of prep time. The flavor of the tandoori spices are also delicious, so you won’t be able to get enough!
- Easy to make
- Perfect for picky eaters
- Looks beautiful on a plate
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love air fryer chicken recipes like this one then you may also enjoy this Air Fryer Chicken Tenders recipe.
This dish only requires a few simple ingredients that are easy to find at your local grocery store. These basic ingredients can help you keep your food costs down while still enjoying a healthy meal.
- chicken thighs cut into small pieces
- plain Greek yogurt
- ginger purée
- chili powder
- garlic powder
Chicken: Instead of using chicken thighs, you could use chicken breasts. Just keep in mind that chicken breasts will cook faster than chicken thighs, so you will need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Yogurt: You could use plain yogurt or Greek yogurt in this recipe. If you are looking for a dairy-free option, you could use coconut milk yogurt.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a handful of kitchen tools to help you make this simple tandoori chicken recipe. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy a tasty meal.
How to Make Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken
This recipe comes together in just a few simple steps. Follow the instructions below and you will have a delicious meal in no time at all.
Step 1: Mix together the spices, yogurt, and chicken in a bowl.
In a bowl, mix the spices, yogurt, and chicken.
Step 2: Stir the chicken until evenly coated and marinate for one hour
Stir until the chicken is completely coated. Cover and place chicken in the refrigerator for 1 hour to marinate.
Step 3: Cut the meat into chunks and place them on skewers
Cut meat skewers to fit in your air fryer basket. Put meat onto skewers and place inside the air fryer basket.
Step 4: Air fry the chicken until done
Cook on 370 for 15 minutes, flip skewers and cook for 5 minutes.
Step 5: Garnish and serve
Garnish with cilantro and serve with naan and basmati rice.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
If you want to add some extra flavor to this dish, you could try adding some of the following:
Vegetables: You could add some vegetables to this dish, such as bell peppers or onions.
Fruit: You could also add some fruit to this dish, such as mango or pineapple.
Spicy: If you like your chicken spicy, you could add some extra chili powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, or cayenne pepper to make spicy chicken.
Here are some of the side dishes that I like to serve with this protein-filled recipe.
Basmati Rice: This recipe goes great with basmati rice.
Naan: You could also serve this dish with naan bread.
Vegetables: I like to serve this dish with vegetables, such as roasted Brussels sprouts or roasted cauliflower.
Salad: A simple green salad pairs well with this dish.
Cucumber Salad: Cucumber salad is a refreshing no cook side dish that pairs perfectly with this chicken.
Here are some tips and tricks that will help you make the perfect air fryer tandoori chicken.
- Don’t forget to marinate the chicken: The key to making flavorful tandoori chicken is to make sure that you marinate the chicken for at least one hour. This will help the chicken absorb all of the flavors from the spices.
- If you are using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes: This will help prevent the skewers from burning when they are in the air fryer.
- Using metal skewers? Make sure to remove them from the air fryer with a pot holder or tongs so that you don’t burn your fingers.
- You could also skip the skewers and use chicken drumsticks or chicken wings, but you will need to add about 10 minutes to the cooking time.
- For a more authentic taste, add a teaspoon of garam masala to the spices.
- For a nice zing, top the skewers with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or lime juice.
- Want to make clean-up a snap? Line your air fryer with a piece of aluminum foil to collect the juices.
- Dip these cooked skewers in a sauce made from melted butter and ginger garlic paste for a fresh taste.
- The bright red color on these skewers comes from the spices, no need for red food coloring.
Do you have questions about this Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this recipe.
Leftover tandoori chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
You can reheat this dish by placing it back in the air fryer for a few minutes at 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
Yes, you can freeze this dish. Place the leftovers in a freezer-safe container and store them in the freezer for up to three months.
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you like air fryer recipes, give these recipes a try:
Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken
- Large bowl
- Measuring spoon
- knife and cutting board
- Air Fryer
- wooden or metal skewers
- 2 pounds chicken thighs cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons ginger purée
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- In a bowl, mix the spices, yogurt and chicken. Stir until chicken is completely coated. Cover and place in refrigerator for 1 hour to marinate.
- Cut meat skewers to fit in your air fryer basket. Put meat onto skewers and place inside air fryer basket.
- Cook on 370 for 15 minutes, flip skewers and cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with naan and basmati rice.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!