I’m in love with my Instant Pot so I’ve been experimenting with all of my favorite recipes to convert them to pressure cooker recipes. These Instant Pot Korean Short Ribs are one of my successes.
Korean short ribs is one of my family’s favorite dinners. I was so excited that it adapted well to the Instant Pot, making it even faster and easier to prepare. If you’re a regular here, you know I’m a fan of easy family dinner recipes.
This dish does benefit from soaking in the marinade so it’s ideal for when you have an extra 15 minutes the night before or the morning of the day you want to make them. Throw the ingredients in a bag or storage container until you’re ready to cook. It’s an easy busy weeknight dinner.
How to Make Instant Pot Korean Short Ribs
Step 1 – Prepare the Ribs
I have skipped this step in the past and regretted it. Don’t skip this!
Trim off the excess fat or you’ll spend more time chewing around gristle than enjoying the delicious flavorful meat.
Then, rinse the ribs. Why? Because sometimes little shards of bone get left behind from how they slice these.
Once you’ve trimmed and rinsed the ribs, toss them in a large storage bag or container.
Step 2 – Make the Marinade
Next, you’ll add all of the other ingredients except the carrots to a mixing bowl.
Then, whisk it all together and pour it over the ribs.
Cover and put in the refrigerator. Allow the meat to marinade for anywhere from 2 hours to 24 hours.
Step 3 – Cook the Ribs
When you’re ready to cook the short ribs, just pour everything from the bag or storage container into your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
Top the ribs with shredded carrots.
And cook on high for 6 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure. Your ribs should look like this:
I like to finish them in the broiler to get the traditional color and texture of Korean Short Ribs.
Instant Pot Korean Short Ribs Recipe
Here’s a printable version of the recipe.
- 3 lbs Korean-style beef short ribs
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ¾ cup water
- 3 Tbs rice vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbs black pepper
- 2 Tbs sesame oil
- 3 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 Tbs minced ginger
- ½ large onion, minced
- 1 Tbs sesame seeds
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Prepare ribs by trimming off excess fat and rinsing to remove any bone shards. Place in a large, heavy duty storage bag.
- In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, water, vinegar, brown sugar, pepper, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, onion, and sesame seeds.
- Pour sauce into bag with ribs. Seal and place in refrigerator. Marinate for 2 hours to overnight.
- Add contents of the bag to pressure cooker. Top with shredded carrots.
- Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes, then allow a 15 minute natural release.
- Before serving, transfer the ribs to a foil-lined cookie sheet and broil for 5 minutes on each side.
To make this in a slow cooker:
Reduce soy sauce and water to just 1/4 cup each. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
More Easy Family Dinner Recipes
If you liked this recipe, you might enjoy some of these other easy dinner recipes.
Latest posts by Corinne Schmitt (see all)
- How to Clean, Store and Chop Fresh Herbs: 3 Important Tips - July 28, 2017
- 25+Free Printables for Organizing Home Life - July 27, 2017
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob - July 26, 2017