These homemade air fryer potato chips are crispy, crunchy, and perfect for satisfying your snack cravings. Plus, they’re much cheaper and healthier to make than store-bought chips.
If you love air fryer potato recipes, then this is the recipe for you. Not only are these homemade chips crispy and delicious, but they’re also super easy to make.
Homemade Air Fryer Potato Chips
Air Fryers cook by using hot air to circulate around the food, which results in a crispy texture. This gives food the same crispy texture of deep-frying, but without the added fat and calories.
If you are looking for a way to reduce the amount of unhealthy foods in your diet, then an air fryer is a great appliance to add to your kitchen. Air fryers can be used to make a variety of dishes, such as chicken fingers, French fries, and onion rings.
Why I Love This Recipe
Homemade air fryer potato chips are the perfect snack for when you’re craving something crispy and salty. Plus, they taste way better than store-bought bags of chips!
- Easy to make
- Fun to make
- Perfect for picky eaters
If you love air fryer potato recipes, give these Air Fryer Animal Style Fries a try.
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this easy air fryer recipe. You may already have all of these ingredients on hand.
- large potatoes
- cracked pepper
Potatoes: Switch out the potatoes for sweet potatoes
Seasoning: Instead of salt and black pepper, you can use seasoned salt instead.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need a handful of kitchen tools to help you make this easy air fryer recipe.
How to Make Homemade Air Fryer Potato Chips
These homemade air fryer potato chips come together in just a few simple steps. And you will be so glad that you made these crispy homemade chips.
Step 1: Thinly slice the potatoes
Using a mandoline slicer or knife, thinly slice peeled or unpeeled potatoes.
Step 2: Soak the potatoes in cold water
Place the potato slices in cold water to soak for 30 minutes. Rinse 2-3 times after.
Step 3: Dry the potatoes
Place slices on paper towels and let dry for 20 minutes.
Step 4: Season and oil the potatoes
Spray slices with oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 5: Air Fry the potato chips
Place slices in an air fryer basket and cook on 300 for 16 minutes, shake the basket halfway through cooking.
Step 6: Crisp the homemade potato chips
Once done, shake and then cook on 400 for 5 minutes.
Step 7: Salt the air fried chips
Remove and salt to taste.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
If you want to add a little extra flavor to your air fryer potato chips, you can try some of these variations.
Spicy: To make these chips spicy , add 1 teaspoon of chili powder to the recipe.
Garlic: Season your chips with garlic salt in addition to regular salt and pepper.
Parmesan: Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the chips before air frying.
Are you wondering what to serve with these homemade air fryer potato chips? Here are my favorite foods to serve with them.
Want to make sure that your chips come out perfectly every time? Follow these tips to get the best results.
- If you are using a mandoline, be careful not to cut yourself. I recommend using the guard.
- When using a knife to cut the potatoes, try to get them evenly sliced so that they cook at the same time.
- The chips will be more crispy if you let them cool completely before salting.
- Don’t skip the water soak, as that removes the starch which allows these homemade chips to crisp up.
- Make sure to dry the potatoes well before you start to air fry them.
Do you have questions about this Homemade Air Fryer Potato Chips recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
The chips can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Yes, you can make the chips ahead of time and store them in an airtight container.
Yes, you can use sweet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes.
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you like using the Air Fryer, give these recipes a try:
- Air Fryer Parmesan Cod
- Air Fryer Parmesan Chicken
- Air Fryer Calzones
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Slices
- Air Fryer Pasta Chips
- Air Fried Chicken Wrap
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Homemade Air Fryer Potato Chips
- 2 large potatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cracked pepper
- Using a mandoline slicer or knife, thinly slice peeled or unpeeled potatoes.
- Place potato slices in cold water to soak for 30 minutes. Rinse 2-3 times after.
- Place slices on paper towels and let dry for 20 minutes.
- Spray slices with oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place slices in air fryer basket and cook on 300 for 16 minutes, shake basket halfway through cooking.
- Once done, shake and then cook on 400 for 5 minutes.
- Remove and salt to taste.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!