These Easy Taco Sausage Cups are a delicious appetizer that is actually packed with veggies! Kids and adults alike will love this finger food recipe.
WONTON WRAPPERS ARE VERSATILE
I love how versatile wonton wrappers are in cooking. Making actual wontons rarely happens at my house, but I use the wrappers a lot for all sorts of recipes.
Wonton wrappers are fairly low calorie and that makes them perfect when you are making a lighter dish like Weight Watchers Mini Pecan Pies. They make a nice crunchy crust without all the calories of a traditional crust.
I have also used wonton wrappers to make Apple Pie Bites that are great for any event for just because!
Another one of our favorite appetizers is to make Chicken Enchilada Cups that are also made in wonton wrappers.
The great thing about wonton wrappers is that they don’t have a strong flavor so they can be used in almost any kind of recipe.
INGREDIENTS FOR TACO SAUSAGE CUPS
I love stuffing recipes with extra veggies whenever I can get away with it. This recipe has a variety of veggies. It is easy to customize to your own preferences. Add or remove veggies as you wish.
- Green Bell Pepper
- Red Bell Pepper
- Frozen Corn
- Black Beans
- Wonton Wrappers
- Colby Jack Shredded Cheese
- Garlic Salt
- Seasoned Pepper
HOW TO MAKE EASY TACO SAUSAGE CUPS
Most taco cup recipes that I see use ground beef. I think that using sausage in this recipe changes the whole flavor of this easy finger food. My preference is to use maple flavored ground sausage, but you can pick whatever variety you like best.
STEP ONE: BROWN SAUSAGE
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Start off by browning the sausage in a large non-stick skillet on the stove. Cook the sausage over medium-high heat until it is completely cooked and no longer pink.
Drain the excess grease off the sausage. I like to do this by transferring the sausage to a plate that has been covered with paper towels for it to drain.
While the sausage is cooking you can go ahead and chop your veggies if you haven’t done that yet.
STEP TWO: COOK VEGGIES
Take the chopped onion, green pepper, red pepper, carrots, celery, parsley and corn and add them to the skillet you cooked the sausage in.
Drain and rinse the black beans and add those to the skillet.
Cook these ingredients on medium heat until the onions start to carmelize.
Add the sausage back into the skillet with the veggies. Add 1/2 cup of salsa.
Sprinkle the mixture with the seasoned pepper and garlic salt. Stir to combine all the ingredients well. Turn off the heat.
STEP THREE: FILL WONTON WRAPPERS
This recipe makes 24 cups. Line regular sized muffin tins with wonton wrappers.
Place a heaping spoonful of the taco sausage mixture into each cup.
Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of each cup.
STEP FOUR: BAKE
Place the muffin tin in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the wonton wrapper edges start to get crispy and light brown.
Remove from the oven and serve warm.
These are great garnished with jalapenos, chopped tomatoes or even sour cream.
This amazingly easy taco sausage cups recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at your next party. These are also great for dinner! You can print off the complete instructions and ingredients via the recipe card below.
Easy Taco Sausage Cups
- 1 pound Maple-flavored Sausage
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped fine
- 3 stalks of celery – washed and chopped
- 1/4 cup of parsley washed and chopped fine
- 1/2 package frozen corn
- 15 ounces black beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 package wonton wrappers 24 wrappers needed
- 8 ounces Colby-jack shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- pinch Coarse ground garlic salt
- pinch Seasoned pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Take a large non-stick skillet and heat to medium-high heat. Add the ground sausage and brown it.
- Drain the sausage of all excess grease. Set aside.
- Add the chopped veggies, frozen corn and drained black beans to the skillet. Cook on medium heat until the onions begin to carmelize.
- Add the browned and drained sausage back into the skillet with the veggies. Add 1/2 cup of salsa.
- Sprinkle the mixture with the garlic salt and seasoned pepper. Stir to combine the mixture. Turn off the heat.
- Place wonton wrappers in two 12 count muffin tins, or one 24 count muffin tin, lining each muffin with the wrappers.
- Place a heaping spoonful of the Sausage mixture in the wrappers, and top each with a generous helping of shredded cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the wonton wrappers begin to turn golden brown on the edges, and the cheese is melted and golden bubbly in color,
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
If you loved this quick and easy wonton cup recipe be sure to check out these other great appetizers.
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Phyllo Cup Appetizers
- BBQ Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites
- Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe so you can come back and make it again!