Baked Chile Relleno Casserole is a New Mexico cuisine favorite. It’s a casserole made of roasted and peeled green chiles, cheese, and egg.
If you love flavorful casseroles then this is a recipe that you are going to want to bake as soon as possible. This spicy and simple to make casserole is going to be a success with your family.
Chile peppers are full of vitamins that our bodies thrive on. They have vitamins including beta-carotene, which has many health benefits such as cardiovascular, skin and immune system support.
Why I Love This Recipe
This casserole is spicy, and filled with peppers, eggs and cheese. A comforting meal that will keep you full and satisfied for hours.
- Easy to make
- Looks beautiful on a plate
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love healthy and filling casserole recipes you may also enjoy this Chicken Broccoli Quinoa Casserole recipe.
Gather these five ingredients and get ready to make a tasty and spicy Tex Mex Casserole.
- La Costena Toreados Peppers
- Queso fresco cheese
- Pepper jack cheese
- Eggs, beaten
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Roasted onion
Peppers: If you can’t find the canned peppers you can purchase fresh and roast your own.
Cheese: Not a fan of pepperjack cheese? You can use your favorite cheese instead.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
You only need four kitchen tools to help you make this easy and spicy family-friendly casserole recipe.
- 8×8 baking pan
- knife and cutting board
How to Make Baked Chile Relleno Casserole
This recipe takes a little bit of work to make it, but I promise this dish is completely worth the effort it takes. You won’t regret making this spicy dish.
Step 1: Roast the onion
Place a quarter onion, lightly sprayed with olive oil, in the oven to roast. When cool enough to handle, chop.
Step 2: Preheat the oven and prep the peppers.
Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Drain the peppers. Separate the peppers and onions and halve the peppers.
Step 3: Layer your baking dish
Spray an 8×8 pan with olive oil spray. Line with ½ of the chiles. Top with ⅓ of the queso fresco and ⅓ of the pepper jack cheese.
Step 4: Add in onions and cheese
Top with all of the onions, sprinkled evenly. Top with another ⅓ of the queso fresco and another ⅓ of the pepper jack cheese.
Step 5: Finish layering casserole
Top with the reimagining halved peppers, remaining queso fresco, and remaining pepper jack cheese.
Step 6: Add in eggs
Beat the eggs and season well with salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the pepper & cheese mix.
Step 7: Bake the casserole
Top the pan with foil. Bake for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove the foil and bake, uncovered for 5-10 minutes until the top is beginning to brown.
Step 8: Allow to rest
Allow the dish to sit for around 10 minutes to set before slicing.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Are you looking to personalize this chile relleno bake? Here are some of my favorite swaps for this recipe.
Protein: Want to up the protein in this casserole? Add in cooked chicken or chorizo.
Less Spicy: Want to reduce the spice level? Remove the seeds in your peppers before adding them to the casserole.
Add-Ins: Add in your favorite toppings such as olives, avocado or sour cream.
Are you wondering what you can serve this dish with? Here are some of my favorite side items to pair with this flavorful dish.
Want to make sure that your dish turns out well? Here are my best tips for making this homemade green chile relleno casserole.
- This dish is SPICY! To make it less spicy: when halving the peppers, also remove the seeds or use half the amount of peppers.
- To roast your own peppers: Spray lightly with olive oil and place the peppers in a 450 degree oven to roast for 10-25 minutes (depending on size). Remove to a lidded pot. Place peppers in the pot, add lid and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Remove skin from the peppers and seed if desired.
- Poblano Peppers could also be substituted for the serrano peppers for a “not so spicy” dish.
Do you have questions about this spicy casserole recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Put the casserole into an oven-safe dish and place uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until heated through. Or warm single servings in the microwave for one minute or until warm.
Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
More Casserole Recipes
If you like casserole recipes, give these recipes a try:
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or toggle on Cook Mode to keep your screen from going dark while you follow along on your phone or tablet.
Baked Chile Relleno Casserole
- 15 ounces La Costena Toreados Peppers
- 6 ounces queso fresco cheese crumbled
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese shredded
- 6 eggs beaten
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 onion roasted
- Place a quarter onion, sprayed with olive oil, in the oven and roast at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, chop.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Drain the peppers. Separate the peppers and onions and halve the peppers.
- Spray an 8×8 pan with olive oil spray. Line with ½ of the chiles. Top with ⅓ of the queso fresco and ⅓ of the pepper jack cheese.
- Top with all of the onions, sprinkled evenly. Top with another ⅓ of the queso fresco and another ⅓ of the pepper jack cheese.
- Top with the reimagining halved peppers, remaining queso fresco, and remaining pepper jack cheese.
- Beat the eggs and season well with salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the pepper & cheese mix.
- Top the pan with foil. Bake for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove the foil and bake, uncovered for 5-10 minutes until the top is beginning to brown.
- Allow the dish to sit for around 10 minutes to set before slicing.
Need to run to the store for a few ingredients first? Don’t forget to pin this recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to cook!