Last Updated on July 7, 2022 by Corinne Schmitt
The bacon and cheese in this Green Bean Potato Casserole elevate it to a whole new level of yumminess. This casserole recipe is perfect as a side dish or even as the main dinner dish. Even the pickiest eaters will love this recipe.
NOT YOUR GRANDMA’S GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
I have always been a fan of green bean casserole, but after eating it for so many years I wanted to a change!
I like having a green vegetable at dinner time and this twist on the traditional green bean casseroles brings the green and adds in some extra yum.
Who can pass on a dish that has crunchy chopped bacon and cheese? I also love that this recipe is lighter without all the cream soup inside.
INGREDIENTS FOR GREEN BEAN POTATO CASSEROLE
I love that this easy casserole recipe 6 ingredients and they are all real food ingredients.
- Red Potatoes
- Green Beans
- Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
HOW TO MAKE GREEN BEAN POTATO CASSEROLE
This is a simple recipe to make and once you get the hang of it you barely even need a recipe to follow. It is also easy to customize for your family’s needs.
STEP ONE: PREPARE PAN
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Take a casserole dish and grease it with nonstick cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Go ahead and dice up the red potatoes so you end up with 4 cups of potatoes.
STEP TWO: BOIL POTATOES
Take a large pot and add the potatoes. Cover with water and turn on high heat.
Boil potatoes until they are tender.
Drain the potatoes and place them in the casserole dish.
STEP THREE: COAT POTATOES
It is time to add the butter (and yes real butter tastes the best) to the potatoes. Salt and pepper the potatoes to your taste.
Stir the potatoes so they get coated in the butter and seasonings.
STEP FOUR: ADD INGREDIENTS
Drain your can of green beans and add the drained beans to the casserole dish.
Add the cooked, chopped bacon and one cup of the shredded cheese.
Stir all these ingredients to combine them.
STEP FIVE: TOP WITH CHEESE
Sprinkle the last cup of cheese over the top of the casserole dish.
STEP SIX: BAKE
Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is cooked through.
GREEN BEAN POTATO CASSEROLE RECIPE TIPS
I always love to find shortcuts and ways to spend less time cooking and more time with my family. Here are a few tips to make this recipe even easier!
- You do not need to peel the red potatoes. Red potato skins are very thin and taste great left on.
- If you don’t want to take the time to cook strips of bacon and then chop them up you can use real chopped bacon bits. The flavor will be just as great.
- Sometimes busy evens hinder a lot of cook time. This is an easy casserole to make the night before. Keep it refrigerated until you are ready to bake it.
GREEN BEAN POTATO CASSEROLE RECIPE
I know that you are ready to make this delicious green bean casserole. It is just so darn good!
You can download and print off the complete green bean potato casserole recipe via the recipe card below:
Green Bean Potato Casserole
- 4 cups red potatoes diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 15 ounce can green beans drained
- 6 strips cooked bacon chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese separated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a casserole dish by greasing with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dice the red potatoes.
- Add potatoes and enough water to cover them to a large pot. Boil diced red potatoes until tender.
- Drain potatoes and place them in the greased casserole dish.
- Add butter, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat the potatoes.
- Add drained green beans, chopped bacon, and one cup shredded cheese. Stir to combine.
- Top the mixture with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and beans are cooked through.
If you loved this easy green bean potato casserole recipe be sure to check out these other veggie recipes:
- Hasselback Potatoes
- Creamy Mexican Corn Salad
- Baked Parmesan Asparagus Fries
- Creamy Broccoli Salad
- Instant Pot Green Beans and Potatoes
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe so you can make it again and again!