This Instant Pot Swiss Chicken is a super simple dinner that is always a crowd pleaser. It’s perfect for those nights you are too tired to make dinner but don’t want to fall back on eating out.
Add this to your list of go-to Instant Pot chicken recipes, because it’s an easy one to make any time. Only a few ingredients, everyone loves it, and it’s easy to make!
For years, I’ve been making a Swiss Chicken Casserole at least once a month. My whole family loves it and it’s so easy. Plus, I almost always have all the ingredients on hand.
Because I’m obsessed with my Instant Pot though, I just HAD to see if I could convert it. The original version is just as easy though so you’ll find that conversion below too!
Here are the video instructions for the recipe. Please note that in light of reader comments, I’ve converted the recipe to a pot-in-pot dish, which isn’t reflected in the video. The remaining steps are the same though.
How to Make Instant Pot Swiss Chicken
This Instant Pot Swiss Chicken is truly a dump meal. You just put the ingredients in the pot and then let it pressure cook.
For those of you who like the in-process photos, I’ve attempted to break it down into steps below.
PLEASE NOTE: This recipe was updated on 1/14/2019 after several readers continued to have burn error issues. If you are one of the 50,000 people who made the previous version with no trouble, simply follow the instructions below without the pot-in-pot method.
Step 1 – Place butter in bottom of pan
First, add butter cut into small cubes to the bottom of your pan.
Step 2 – Add chicken and cheese
Next, place chicken breasts on top of the butter. Then, top each breast with Swiss cheese.
Step 3 – Add the sauce
Now, combine the cream of chicken soup and milk in a small bowl.
Then pour it over the chicken and cheese.
Step 4 – Add the Stuffing
Now sprinkle the stuffing over the top. Pour broth (or water) evenly over the stuffing.
Step 5 – Prepare Instant Pot for Pot-in-Pot
Place the trivet in the bottom of the inner liner of your Instant Pot. Add 1 cup of water to the pot.
Make a foil sling or use a silicone sling. Use the sling to lower pan with chicken and stuffing onto the rack.
Step 6 – Pressure Cook
Secure the lid and select “Poultry” setting (or “Manual” if you don’t have the Poultry setting). Make sure the time is set to 15 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Dinner is ready!
Spoon each chicken breast onto plates and top with the stuffing mixture from the pot. Dig in!
Instant Pot Swiss Chicken Recipe
Ready to make this Instant Pot Swiss Chicken? Here’s the recipe card with the exact measurements.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This recipe was updated on 1/14/2019 after several readers continued to have burn error issues. If you are one of the 50,000 people who made the previous version with no trouble, simply follow the instructions below without the pot-in-pot method.
Instant Pot Swiss Chicken
- 1/4 cup butter cut into small cubes
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless preferred
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- 1 can Campbell's low sodium cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 box Stove Top chicken stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 cup water
- Place butter cubes in bottom of a cooking pan that fits inside your Instant Pot.
- Place chicken in IP on top of the butter and top each piece of chicken with swiss cheese. If your cheese slices are hanging over the edges of the chicken, break off the excess and stack on top to prevent cheese from falling to bottom of pot and scorching.
- Combine the cream of chicken soup with the milk and pour over everything.
- Pour the stuffing mix evenly over the chicken.
- Pour broth/water evenly over the stuffing.
- Place trivet in bottom of your Instant Pot. Add 1 cup of water to the pot. Make a foil sling or use a silicone sling and use to lower the pot of chicken and stuffing onto the trivet.
- Secure the lid and select the "poultry" setting for 15 minutes.
- Natural release for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with green beans or salad.
Oven Baked Swiss Chicken
To make the oven-baked version of this Instant Pot Swiss Chicken, use the ingredient list above (minus the broth/water) and do the following:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Arrange chicken breasts in baking dish. Top with Swiss cheese.
- Combine cream of chicken soup and milk in a small bowl and pour over the chicken.
- Sprinkle stuffing mix over the chicken.
- Melt butter in small bowl in the microwave. Then, pour evenly over the stuffing.
- Cover the dish with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
If you liked the simplicity of this Instant Pot Swiss Chicken, you might enjoy some of these other recipes.
And this Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice dish from I Don’t Have Time for That is another of my family’s favorites!
More Instant Pot Resources
Do more with your Instant Pot with these helpful Instant Pot Accessories: