WHAT ARE SNICKERDOODLES?
I was recently made aware that not everyone knows what a snickerdoodle cookie is and I need to rectify that situation!
Snickerdoodles are similar to sugar cookies, but are not the exact same!
A big difference between sugar cookies and snickerdoodles is the use of cinnamon in snickerdoodles. It isn’t always an ingredient, but it is very common.
Snickerdoodles are usually a very soft cookie with a denser texture too.
We eat a lot of snickerdoodles in the US but many other countries are not familiar with this delicious cookie.
INGREDIENTS FOR PEPPERMINT SNICKERDOODLES
These peppermint snickerdoodles have the same basic ingredients as most cookies do. There are a few additions that make these cookies extra special.
- Vanilla Extract
- Peppermint Extract
- Cream of Tartar
- Baking Soda
- Red & Green Sprinkles
HOW TO MAKE PEPPERMINT SNICKERDOODLES
If you love cookies you will love how simple this recipe is to make. This batch makes a lot of cookies! Three dozen cookies will feed a lot of hungry kids.
STEP ONE: CREAM INGREDIENTS
Start off by preheating oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and peppermint.
STEP TWO: DRY INGREDIENTS
Now slowly add in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Blend the ingredients until well-blended.
STEP THREE: SHAPE DOUGH
Take the cookie dough and reshape the dough into 1 inch balls.
STEP FOUR: MIX SPRINKLES
It is time to make the sprinkles we will use on the outside of the cookies.
In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of white sugar and one tablespoon of red sprinkles. Stir to combine.
In another small bowl combine the last tablespoon of sugar and one tablespoon of green sprinkles. Stir to combine.
STEP FIVE: ROLL DOUGH
Now you will roll each dough ball in one of the small sprinkle bowls to coat the dough in the sugar and sprinkles.
Place the coated cookie dough balls on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
STEP SIX: BAKE
Place your baking sheet in the oven and bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes. You want the cookies to be set but still nice and soft.
Once you have removed the baking sheet from the oven transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Store any leftovers in a covered container.
PEPPERMINT SNICKERDOODLES RECIPE
I know you are already envisioning these beautiful peppermint snickerdoodles on a platter on your holiday table. You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions via the recipe card below.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons white sugar divided
- 1 tablespoon red sprinkles
- 1 tablespoon green sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream together butter, sugar and the eggs, vanilla and peppermint.
- Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of white sugar and 1 tablespoon of green sprinkles together in a small bowl.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of white sugar and 1 tablespoon of red sprinkles together in a small bowl.
- Roll each dough ball in sprinkles either red or green or both!
- Place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until set but still soft. Remove immediately from baking sheet on to wire rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
If you love easy cookie recipes be sure to check these out:
- Snowman Nutter Butter Cookies
- Pudding Mix Gingerbread Cookies
- Eggnog Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
- Nutter Butter Reindeer
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe so you can come back and make these yummy snickerdoodles again and again!