These St. Patrick’s Day Treats Are Pots of Gold!How fun is creating a pot of gold out of a cookie? Oreo cookies are delicious on their own, but when you cover them with chocolate and goodies they become irresistible! St. Patrick’s Day is all about green and gold and this dessert fits right into the theme.
Oreo Pots of Gold Treats for the ClassThere are a lot of schools that may not have a special class party to commemorate St. Patrick’s Day, but most teachers would still welcome treats. When I have an idea that is this adorable I will just email my daughter’s teacher and ask if I can send treats one day to school! To make it even more fun I will send copies of these free printable St. Patrick’s Day color pages for the kids to work on after they eat their Oreo St. Patrick’s Day Treats! You may want to send extra green crayons too!
How to Make Oreo St. Patrick’s Day TreatsOreo St. Patrick’s Day Treats are easy to make if you follow the simple instructions. I love that these snacks start with an Oreo cookie and don’t involve any baking.
IngredientsThere are only 6 ingredients in this easy recipe for little edible pots of gold!
- One package of Oreo cookies
- Black candy melts
- Small shamrock sprinkles
- Airheads Extremes Mini Bites
- Small gold coin sprinkles
Step 1: Melt ChocolateThe first step is to melt the chocolate. Follow the package instructions on the black candy melts and get the chocolate melted into a small bowl. While the chocolate is melting you can line a baking sheet with wax paper. If you feel the chocolate is too thick it is okay to add about a teaspoon of coconut oil or vegetable shortening to the melted candy to make it thinner.
Step 2: Decorate CookiesNow that the black chocolate is melted it is time to coat the Oreo cookies. It works best to do one cookie at a time. Coat the Oreo in chocolate and use a fork to let the chocolate drip off the bottom. Place the Oreo down onto the prepared baking sheet. While the chocolate is still wet it is time to put the sprinkles on the cookie. Put some shamrock sprinkles along the bottom of the cookie. Sprinkle the gold sugar sprinkles over the top portion and also put some of the gold coin sprinkles in the top portion. Place the Airheads Bite under the top side of the cookie so that it will be connected as the chocolate dries. Now let this portion of the cookies set up so the chocolate hardens.
Step 3: Finish PotReheat the extra black candy melts so they are melted again. Pour the chocolate into a frosting piping bag with a fine tip attached. Outline the pot under the gold sprinkles as shown in the pictures. You can make a thicker line by going back over it more than once.
Step 4: Set UpLet the cookies set up completely before serving. Store in an airtight container.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
Oreo St. Patrick’s Day Treats RecipeI know you are ready to make some of these sweet treats! The full ingredients and recipe is below on the recipe card. You can download the recipe for your convenience.
Oreo St. Patrick's Day Treats
- 1 package Oreo Cookies
- Black candy melts
- Gold sugar sprinkles
- Gold coin sprinkles Available at Michaels
- Shamrock sprinkles Available at Michaels
- Airhead Extreme Minis
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Melt black candy melts in a microwave safe bowl (according to package directions.) Heat on high for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat in 15-second increments, stirring each time, until completely melted. Do not overheat as the candy will seize and become unusable. If the candy is too thick to pour from a spoon, stir in 1 teaspoon of coconut oil or vegetable shortening. Test for consistency and add more coconut oil if needed, up to 1 tablespoon.
- Drop cookie into melted chocolate and turn to coat completely. Place cookie in a fork, tapping the fork gently against the side of the bowl, allowing excess chocolate to return to the bowl. If air bubbles form, pop them with a toothpick.
- Slide the coated cookie onto the baking sheet. Immediately decorate with shamrock and coin sprinkles. Lightly sprinkle gold sugar over the coins. Press an Airhead Extreme Mini against the edge of the cookie at the top.
- Allow cookie to set completely at room temperature or refrigerate for faster results.
- Reheat the black candy melts if needed. Pour into a piping bag with a fine tip attached or zip top freezer bag with one small corner snipped. Line the edge of the “pot” from one side of the cookie to the other just below the coins. If you prefer a thicker line, repeat the step over the previous line.
- Allow cookies to set completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.