A lot of people don’t want to share their lucky charms. Especially with St. Patrick’s Day just around the corner. These Lucky Charms Cupcakes are really no different. They are so delicious you probably won’t want to share.
These cupcakes are perfect for any occasion but naturally are a fantastic treat to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. They can be made for class parties, family get togethers or even for a fun birthday party.
They are great for any reason, any season and any occasion. Heck, they can even be considered breakfast, right?
This recipe is generally easy to make and can be finished in what seems like no time. It is also pretty versatile as you can choose to use a boxed cake mix, like we have, or opt to use your favorite homemade cupcake recipe, the choice is totally yours.
One of the best parts of this recipe is that it is easy to make and can be done in what seems like an instant. Which is perfect for when you are having last minute company. Everyone that
Fun and exciting to eat!
Now is a good a time as any to get started making these Lucky Charms Cupcakes.
They’re only slightly more effort than these Easy Shamrock Cupcakes, due to the rainbow-colored frosting. So, if you want to simplify the recipe even further, just pick your favorite color and don’t bother mixing up four different colors.
What You Need to Make These Lucky Charms Cupcakes
While these cupcakes are generally simple to create, you will want to ensure that you pay attention to the directions. Especially when it comes to cooling the cupcakes and the decorating process.
- 1 box vanilla cake mix – You want to ensure that you also have the ingredients to make the cake mix from the box as well.
- 4 sticks of unsalted butter – Make sure to soften the butter before you get started.
- 8 cups of powdered sugar – Sift the sugar to ensure that it isn’t clumpy.
- 4-6 tablespoons of milk – 2% milk works just fine; you don’t need to get too fancy.
- Green gel food coloring
- Blue gel food coloring
- Yellow gel food coloring
- Red gel food coloring
- 1 cup of lucky charms cereal
How to Make Lucky Charms Cupcakes
Prepare your boxed cake mix to make cupcakes as per the directions listed on the box.
Allow your cupcakes to cool completely before you begin decorating them. This will make sure the decorations don’t melt off.
Add your softened butter, powdered sugar and four tablespoons of milk into a large bowl.
Use your electric mixer to beat together all the ingredients well. Start on low and increase the speed to high as you mix. If the frosting is too thick add a little more milk.
Beat your ingredients are smooth but also have semi-stiff peaks beginning to form.
Divide up your buttercream into 4 different bowls. Add one of each color of your gel food coloring to each bowl.
If you want to achieve a rich color add about 4 to 6 small drops of each color to the bowl. This will be a bit less than half of a teaspoon of food color.
Mix each bowl of your buttercream until your color is vibrant and well mixed.
Attach Wilton icing tip #21 to a piping bag and scoop your buttercream inside. Alternate colors as you scoop.
Frost each cupcake with the colored icing.
Decorate each cupcake with the Lucky Charms, using primarily the marshmallow shapes.
Serve and enjoy!
Lucky Charms Cupcakes
- Prepare cupcakes according to box’s directions. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- Add butter, powdered sugar and 4 tablespoons milk to a large bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat together all ingredients, starting on low and gradually increasing to high. Add more milk if frosting is too thick.
- Beat ingredients until smooth, creating semi-stiff peaks.
- Divide buttercream into 4 separate bowls. Add one color of gel food coloring to each bowl. To achieve a rich color, add about 4-6 small drops (a bit less than 1/2 a teaspoon).
- Mix each bowl of buttercream until completely tinted.
- Attach Wilton icing tip #21 to a piping bag. Scoop colored buttercream into piping bag, alternating colors.
- Frost each cupcake.
- Decorate each cupcake with cereal (making sure to use plenty of the marshmallow shapes).
Not ready to make these right this minute? Pin the recipe so you can find it when you’re ready!