These Mongolian Beef Bowls are colorful, full of flavor, and always a crowd pleaser. It’s one of my favorite family dinner recipes!
I’ve always loved Mongolian BBQ. What I don’t love is the bill when we load all of our bowls onto the scale!
Considering it takes them just a few minutes to cook your bowl once they’ve weighed it and taken a big chunk out of your life savings, I knew it would be easy to recreate at home. Not only will these Mongolian beef bowls save you a ton of money, you can enjoy it in the comfort of your own home and refill your bowl as often as you like.
How to Make Mongolian Beef Bowls
My recipe criteria are that the dish has to be: 1) fast, 2) easy, 3) free from obscure ingredients that I have to buy from a specialty store. So, rest assured that despite the exotic sound of “Mongolian,” this meal is one you can easily recreate any day of the week with ingredients you can find at your favorite grocery store.
Step 1 – Marinate the Steak
The steak is the star of this dish so don’t neglect this step. First, you’ll slice it into 1-inch slices. Then, you need to marinate it for at least 20 minutes (a few hours is even better) in soy sauce, olive oil, garlic and cornstarch.
Step 2 – Cook the Steak
After your steak has marinated and soaked up all those yummy flavors, coat the slices in cornstarch. Heat some vegetable oil in your wok over medium high heat (you can use a large pan if you don’t have a wok). Then cook the steak for about a minute and a half.
Step 3 – Prepare the Sauce
Remove the steak from the wok but preserve about a tablespoon of oil. Add the ginger, soy sauce and sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar and simmer for a minute or two.
Then add the green onion and return the steak slices to the pan. Cook for an additional minute.
Step 4 – Serve!
Load up each bowl with rice. Then top with the Mongolian beef. Add some avocado slices, grated carrot, avocado sauce and some coriander leaves to finish it off.
You now have a flavorful bowl full of whole grains, protein, healthy fats, and nutrients!
Mongolian Beef Bowl Recipe
Ready to make it? Click on the recipe card below to download/print the recipe.
- 5 Ounces steak
- 1 ½ Tsp soy sauce
- ½ Tsp olive oil
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- ½ Tbsp cornstarch and ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- ¼ Tsp ginger minced
- ¼ Cup water
- 2 Tsps brown sugar
- ½ Green onion sliced
- 1 Cup cooked rice
- ½ Avocado sliced
- 2 Tbsps green avocado sauce
- ¼ Carrot grated
- Coriander leaves
- Slice the steak against the grain into 1-inch slices. Mix with ½ tsp soy sauce, olive oil, half the garlic, and ¼ tbsp cornstarch, marinate the steak for at least 20 minutes and as long as 8 hours. Coat the steak slices with the remaining cornstarch.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a pan or wok at medium high. Cook the steak for 1 minute and then turn the slices and cook for 20 seconds. Remove the steak and let it dry in a bowl with paper towel. Drain almost all the vegetable oil from the pan leaving around 1 tbsp, add the ginger and remaining soy sauce and cook for 10 seconds, add the remaining garlic, water, and brown sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves and simmer for 1 ½ minutes, add the green onion and steak slices and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Fill a bowl with the rice and top with the Mongolian beef, coriander leaves, avocado slices, grated carrot, and green avocado sauce.
More Easy Family Dinner Recipes
If you liked this recipe, you might enjoy some of these other easy dinner recipes.